• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kryshu

Game Space(Caligari) Is It Good?

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey does anyone have Game Space by Caligari... I have their True Space 4 Software and was looking at getting the Game Space software as well if anyone can give me feed back on how well game space works and if its a good program Id appreciate it

Advertisement
I tried out the Game Space demo program, and it reminded me very much of their regular truespace products. I've never spent much time with either application, so that's only a first view opinion.
But if you're looking for a powerful tool for 3D modelling, I suggest Blender http://www.blender3d.org/ the User Interface can be a bit tricky at first, but if you spend a bit of time in the documentation http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/ you can rapidly become quite fast at creating things. And it's free...

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have used gamespace and it is fairly good. It is free, so that is a big plus. I would suggest downloading or at least viewing the gamespace tutorial videos where they are making a quake III character. Even if you are not interested in makeing quake III models, most of the videos just cover creating the model using the software package. Only the last one was dealing with getting the model ready for Quake III. They really helped me getting to know what the software can do and where all the operations are.

I made the (in my opinion) mistake of purchasing GameSpace about a year ago, a significant purchase for a part time job holding student, and to be quite honest I regret it. I started modelling on 3dsMAX and going to gameSpace was difficult. The program itself isn't too bad, once you get used to it you can do most of what you want without too many problems, but I and the other 3D artists on our team had so many problems with reliability. I should point out that I'm talking about an older version so Caligari may well have resolved these issues in current releases but unexplained back to desktop crashes, undoable meshes and saving errors were common. Modelling was good, UV-mapping was terrible (although there was talk of a new UV editor coming in so that may well have changed by now) and animation was good in theory but there were so many issues with saving it made producing anything more than a moving sphere very difficult.

Having said all that, it is based upon trueSpace which (while having no experience of it myself) I understand is good, and things may well have changed since then, but that's my opinion on it. My advice would be check out their latest demo, take it through to the last second of your trial time and seriously think about it before buying.

Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
What about 3dsMAX?

If you can afford it, without doubt the best!

I used gameSpace a few years ago whenever it came out. I didn't like it, and haven't used it since.

Mostly, though, for opinionated reasons. Technically, the product is quite good. I just hated the interface! I couldn't do anything! Everything is represented with a million tiny little icons layed all over the screen. It's sort of like playing a memory game.

And then when you open up windows, they're all way too small. Their contents are horribly compacted, and text is abbreviated to a ridiculous extent. It was just so annoying.

Also, having now played around with 3ds max, I can say that the camera controls are quite clunky as well.

Also, I had a lot of problems with exporting models to .X format (which they've probably fixed by now, hopefully). It seemed totally random if it would work or not. And even if it did, the one thing it never did was export a model with multiple animations, something which both the .X format and gameSpace supported. That got annoying quickly, because my code relied on animations for models being stored with the model in the same .X file.

However, all this was a few years ago, so you'll definately need to consider the likelyhood that many of these problems have been fixed or toned down in making your decision.

I personally would either use Blender, or perhaps get a student edition of 3ds max.

EDIT: If you've tried trueSpace 4, then you pretty much know what most of the interface is like. So if you didn't mind the interface design in trueSpace 4, I doubt you'll mind it in gameSpace (it's like an exact copy of trueSpace 6, with a few advanced features ripped out).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!