[.net] Decompilers and Obfuscators

Started by
1 comment, last by ernow 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, Can anyone recommend some good free (or very cheap) decompilers and obfuscators? I ran a trial decompiler today on some of my code and was horrified to see the results. It was like looking at the original source! I plan on selling my engine libraries one day and I certainly don't want people able to just grab the entire source with a few clicks. Gotta at least make 'em work for it. ;) As a side note: Is it even worth it? So any recommendations? Thanks.
Advertisement
the .Net framework ships with both. The obfuscator is called Dotfuscator (usually shipping as "Dotfuscator Community Edition"), and the decompiler is ildasm.exe (ships even with the runtime API, not just the SDK).

unlike C, .Net apps include metadata about the program's classes, methods, and data members in the executable; it's essential for the Reflection API. So, an obfuscator for .Net is probably just going to ghetto-code-ize stuff (one character variable names, etc), just to make it as unfriendly as possible. Whatever code it produces, decompiling and recompiling will still work.

As to whether or not it's worth it: really determined people will still get around it. The people it will stop... noobs... so would they be able to capitalize on hacking your code anyway?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Also take a look at reflector

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement