• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Erzengeldeslichtes

VC2005 b2: gcnew /w copy constructor?

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Admittedly, I'm very new to .net, CLR, CLI, managed extentions, etc. but for the most part I've figured it out. However, this has come up and I have no clue what's going on with it:
#using <system.drawing.dll>

using namespace System::Drawing;

int main()
{
	Point Temp;
	Point Works(Temp);
	Point^ C2558 = gcnew Point(Temp);
}
As you might be able to surmise from the variable names, allocating a System::Drawing::Point on the stack and copy-constructing it works perfectly fine. However, if I try to make one on the garbage collection heap and copy construct it, I get a C2558: no copy constructor available or copy constructor is declared 'explicit'. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but explicitness (for lack of a better word) shouldn't have any effect here since I am explicitly calling the copy constructor. The other option, copy constructor doesn't exist/isn't public, is proven wrong by the prior line. Google was rather empty on the subject, and so I ask: Is there a reason that I can't do this?

Advertisement
System::Drawing::Point is a value type, CLI user defined value types cannot have special member functions so no default constructors, copy constructors, destructors, finalizers etc, etc however value types are copy constructable/assignable (otherwise that would contradict value semantics i.e. "do as the ints do") but it is more in the sense of structs in C as in a bitwise copy as opposed to a memberwise copy (i think that is correct). Value types are generally meant to be allocated on the stack (but as you know you can allocate them on un/managed heap if you really want to) hence you can *copy construct* value types on the stack but there is no real copy constructor be invoked as value types can't have special member functions, its just a bitwise copy and this is the reason why you can not copy construct on un/managed heap because they dont and can't have special member functions like copy constructors but this is legal for any value type:

using System::Drawing::Point;

Point p(30, 40);

Point^ g = gcnew Point();

*g = p;

Although its not the samething, assignment != initialization.

Despite all that reference types can have copy constructors which takes the form of:

ref struct foo {

foo(const foo%); // % is simillar to &
};

Oh by the way an explicit constructor means a constructor declared with the standard C++ keyword explicit:

struct foo { explicit foo(***); };

Although in this context it doesn't have much to do with the problem.

[Edited by - snk_kid on August 10, 2005 6:15:56 PM]

Okay, I understand that it doesn't actually have a copy constructor. But why can't it do a bitwise initialization on the managed heap? Why does it matter where the memory is that's to be bitwise initialized?

Quote:
Original post by Erzengeldeslichtes
Okay, I understand that it doesn't actually have a copy constructor. But why can't it do a bitwise initialization on the managed heap? Why does it matter where the memory is that's to be bitwise initialized?

I don't think the problem is weather or not bitwise copying can be done on managed heap i think (as in i'm making an assumption here) the problem is when use operator new/gcnew normally you state the type and which constructor you want invoke i.e foo^ bar = gcnew foo(***); but as user-defined value types can't have special member functions like copy constructors as far as i'm aware there is no way to state that you want to copy construct on un/managed heap using operator new/gcnew because user-defined value types don't have real copy constructor functions. Oddest thing is built-in value types like ints although also don't have real copy constructors you can use that syntax (you can copy construct on un/managed heap like you normally do) but not for CLI user-defined value types and i have no clue why.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!