• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kryshu

NEED ADVICE QUICK

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Omg i just read the requirement s to get into a colledge gameing program and its unbeleiveable what they expect for u to already know like geese if i already can do what they expect from me then whats the point of taking their course... they want like games made and ready,,,real life scetches..animations vids and stills..fantasy drawings... like i just starting learning this stuff and i only have one year to leanr and do all thats and its putting me down hard.... if anyone has been in the same boat as me can u give me advice on which part of thos requirements would be best to start with please.. thank you

Advertisement
That honestly doesn't seem too difficult. Given a year, I bet you can do it if you put some effort in. Which are you going for anyway, the art side or the programming side?

You might be able to get in touch with someone from the college and talk it over with them if you're still concerned. Like, ask them what kind of preperation you should do for a given course, etc.

Quote:

if i already can do what they expect from me then whats the point of taking their course...

So you can get a little piece of paper saying that you can do it [grin]

Quote:

You don't suppose that they would take console games...do you?

Console as in text based?

Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
You don't suppose that they would take console games...do you?

I would. I imagine that three working c/c++ programs more complex than 'hello world' would be sufficient if you have done decently in school. [and if this is a normal undergraduate program... It's not too clear, since parts seem tailored as a program for students already with CS degrees]

Quote:
Original post by Kryshu
Omg i just read the requirement s to get into a colledge gameing program and its unbeleiveable what they expect for u to already know like geese if i already can do what they expect from me then whats the point of taking their course... they want like games made and ready,,,real life scetches..animations vids and stills..fantasy drawings... like i just starting learning this stuff and i only have one year to leanr and do all thats and its putting me down hard.... if anyone has been in the same boat as me can u give me advice on which part of thos requirements would be best to start with please.. thank you

my advice is to get a 4 year degree in computer science, and if you want to learn game programming that much, then you have 4 years to do it. If the game programming industry doesnt need any programmers, you still have your CS degree.

They say past assignments are suitable portfolio material. I take it to mean they know what to expect from high-school-level assignments. It's not like they're asking you to come with Quake 4 or to be Rembrandt or Vermeer. Rather, they want you to demonstrate that you won't be stumped by what they'll ask you to do.

If I were you, I'd sit down and work over my class schedule to make sure I have taken those classes they expect me to have taken - and that I did well in them (if you weren't any good at them, you might not be suited for that career, as much as you might not want to admit it). Then I'd make sure I have past art or programming assignments I feel I can submit, and if not, make some.

Consulting with your school teachers and carrier/orientation staff may be infinitely more productive than milling around without knowing if you're suited or not.

Note that the call this an Advanced Degree Program and that "Students with a university degree in computers, science, engineering, architecture or fine arts may be admitted directly into the second year of study." It sounds like they expect you to get an undergrad degree first or show an equivalent level of competency.

Quote:
Original post by Gink
Quote:
Original post by Kryshu

my advice is to get a 4 year degree in computer science, and if you want to learn game programming that much, then you have 4 years to do it. If the game programming industry doesnt need any programmers, you still have your CS degree.

Ya you really should because you can always get into game programming if you have a computer science degree and anything else if you can't find a job for that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!