• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
imat

street fighter 2 question

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Me and a friend had a street fighter 2 match at the local arcade. We pretty much knocked each other out at almost the same time on round 3. And we actually went to a round 4. So we wanted to know how it did the calculations to determine whether or not to send us to the 4th round? thanks, imat

Advertisement
Presumably the Street Fighter machine has some determination mechanism which tests whether the players should get another round. Both of you knocking each other out clearly evaluated to 'another round' instead of 'game over'. Or perhaps a new round is simply the default. It is very difficult to tell without the actual source code, and since you cannot get that without the ROM within the machine, it is unlikely you will get a real answer [grin]

I was always told that The Fourth Round was a myth, did you really go there? I'm betting there is a tie system set up, if both player's life would be reduced to zero within a certain time I'm sure it triggers it.

Yeah we got there, the calculation to send us to the 4th round took quite a bit longer than the usual loading between rounds. Thoughts?

:)

The game probably did all collision and hit detection, and when it was time to check if any player had zero health, it turned out, both had zero health. Since both had zero health, the game decided another round was necessary.

That seems to be the most plausible explanation.

Not sure why it took longer to load, are you sure, or did it just feel longer? Was there anything special, like fancy round-4 specific graphics that might have increased the load time?

You can have a draw round at any time, and it will produce a round 4(if needed). You don't get more than 4 rounds though - both players will lose if round 4 is a tie.

sjelkjd is right - obviously you have not played enough SF2 :)
There are no more than 4 rounds in the game.

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.