Slow exe despite of fast code - strange problem, please help!

Started by
8 comments, last by Steve132 18 years, 8 months ago
hi all, i've got a really strange problem - programmed a little game with openGL, When compiling using Visual C and then running, it works well but when you copy the .exe file stored in the debug directory to some other place, it starts running really slow! (if you run the .exe from the debug directory but outside VC, it works well too...) i wanna send it to my none-programmers friends... what to do? :( the code can be found here: http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/bloody4/project.zip it's really messy though, worked under time pressure (it's a recitation for the university...) please help....
Advertisement
Compile in Release mode and then try running it again. Debug mode is meant for debugging.
already tried that. not working.
I have never heard of performance being based on file location and the .exe alone doesn't even need the files that are in the directory with it when you compile it. I mean the .obj files. First of all, make sure you still keep release mode. Then try running a profiler on it to see if for some reason, the change in directory causes some function to go slower.

Are you relying on any .dll files? Perhaps there is a new version in your executable's directory but a older (and slower) one in the C:\windows\system32 directory? That would be my best guess.
Darn that's messy.
1. there is a alarming numbers if glBindTexture calls everywhere.
2. the movement code is a bit complicated, i couldn't even understand it.
3. You are using GLUT, glut may be easy but it's not prefered for games, if you do use it then use a custom game loop and input functions instead of relying on GLUT for that.
Why not use GLUT for games? What's the best choice to keep the application multi-platform then?
Quote:Original post by luizribeiro
Why not use GLUT for games? What's the best choice to keep the application multi-platform then?

SDL.
Or write your own library. [wink]
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
or GLFW
I second GLFW

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement