• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cppgirl

game modding

This topic is 4850 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm reading this book (The Indie Game Development Survival Guide) and it mentions briefly about some people just mod games instead of make games... and well I was wondering if maybe modding a game is easier than making a whole game from scratch and would provide the same experience kinda to test C++. Is this so? Does anybody here mod games instead of making an entire COMPLETED game? And if so, what games are easier to mod? I have a lot of games but I have no idea how to mod them and I'd be interested in trying to make a mod instead of making some really bad tetris clone for my next experiment :) A few of the games I have and would like to know if modding them isn't that hard: Civilization III The Sims (and almost all the xpacs) Warlords IV City of Heroes (cancelled though) EverQuest II (cancelled though) lots more...

Advertisement
cppgirl,

Typically a lot of games ship with their own toolsets and scripting languages to allow for modding, and some even come with an SDK written in C++, which the users can modify. It completely depends upon the game developer.

Now, I don't have any of the games you mentioned so I wouldn't know if they ship with modding tools, SDK and/or scripting language.

I've dabbled with the Doom 3 SDK, Doom 3 Script and UnrealScript, but I prefer having complete control over a project.

It's all up to you, whether you'd like to mod games or help make them from scratch!

EDIT: Bah, forgot to answer your questions completely, sorry about that!

1.) Modding a game is generally easier than a full game, all things equal

2.)Some games (like Doom 3) have their SDK written in C++, so you could forseably use your C++ knowledge to modify some aspects of the game logic.

My first foray into programming and gamemaking was when I modded the original DOOM. It's really not that hard, and I learned a lot along the way, even if it is a little dated (okay maybe a lot dated).

As for which is easier, making a game from scratch, or modding an existing one, I'd say it depends on what game you are trying to make, and what game you are modding to be that game. For example, it would be easier to just create a Breakout clone from scratch than to try and mod Half-Life 2 into a Breakout type game. I understand that's not a very good example, but you have to bear in mind what the original game engine was meant for when you are going to try and mod it.

Good Luck!

UT2k4 has tons of modding tools, the DVD edition even came with incredible amount of videos made by the 3dbuzz.com team. I'd say check it out, they have incredible amount of ressource and these guys know a lot.They also have section for Doom 3 and for 3d Max and maya.

It's a great community, the DVDs made for UT2k4 are available there.If you want to start somewhere for modding, I think it's worth a look.

http://3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!