how to compute fps?

Started by
7 comments, last by Baf 18 years, 8 months ago
I want to know the fps value of my rendering, someone can help?
Baffo"role-game needs a table"
Advertisement
Ok. Here is a short guide:

1) Store the current time as LastTime.
2) Count each frame you render as Count.
3) If Count reaches some predefined number NumFrames update the FPS:
(a) Set ElapsedTime is current time minus LastTime
(b) FPS is now NumFrames / ElapsedTime.
(c) Set LastTime to current time.

The number NumFrames determines your resolution -- the more frames the better the accuracy but the less up-to-date on average.

Greetz,

Illco
// C++DWORD EndTime = GetTickCount() + 1000;int frames = 0;// Game Loopwhile(true){     if(GetTickCount() > EndTime)     {          // Display your FPS, perhaps in the title bar of your application?          // That seems to be easiest.          EndTime = GetTickCount() + 1000;          frames = 0;     }     YourNormalGameLoop();     frames++;}

// C#int lastSecond = DateTime.Now.Second;int frames = 0;// Game Loopwhile(app.Created){     if(DateTime.Now.Second != lastSecond)     {          app.Text = String.Format("{0} fps", frames);          lastSecond = DateTime.Now.Second;          frames = 0;     }     YourNormalGameLoop();     fames++;}

Neither solution is overly accurate but it'll ballpark it.
Yet another one! I think timeGetTime() requires winmm.lib to be linked, unless you're linking it already.

DWORD FPS(){	static DWORD fpstimer=0;	static uint fps=0;	static uint frames=0;	frames++;	if(timeGetTime()-fpstimer>1000)	{		fpstimer=timeGetTime();		fps=frames;		frames=0;	}	return fps;}

Call it once per loop, and use the value it returns to display the frame count.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Hi there Baf,
Thanks for that Grozzler, fantastic reply :)
Here is my 2 cents :)

[Calculating the FPS using C#]
[source lang = c#]public void CalcFPS(){	frameCount++;	if(Environment.TickCount - counter >= 1000)	{	   fps = frameCount;           counter = Environment.TickCount;	   frameCount = 0;        }}private static float counter = 0;private static float frameCount = 0;private static float fps = 0;

I hope this helps a bit.
Keep cool.
Once again, Thank you Grozzler for the reply.

[Edited by - Armadon on August 11, 2005 12:16:33 PM]
Hey, that code looks awfully familiar. Can't place where you must've gotten it, though. Though I'm not sure it'll compile. Don't know what C# would think of a "private public" function.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
thank you all
my fps is about 40 is it too slow? game is not finished. if i bypass gameloop i have 8000!!!

Baffo"role-game needs a table"
Quote:Original post by Baf
thank you all
my fps is about 40 is it too slow? game is not finished. if i bypass gameloop i have 8000!!!

Well, it depends. What kind of system is it? What kind of application? If you think it's too slow, take a preliminary look at it right now, to check for any major design flaws. However, save the optimizations for the end.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
NOooooooo biggest problem!!!

i only added the code for fps view and computing but
if i move my created window i get a sistem crash

this is the code
DWORD EndTime = GetTickCount() + 1000;
int frames = 0;
char s[50];
RECT *rectTxt=new RECT();
rectTxt->......
//********************************
while (....) //MAIN MESSAGE LOOP
{