• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mengha

Storing this data.

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As a project to do over the summer I am planning on writing an app to help me keep track of coursework at college. I was planning on writing in it either VB6, VB.net or mabye C#. What I can't figure out is how to store the data. I'm planning on everything being in a treeview, you can add Courses, Course Units, and Coursework to the treeview and each of these has other information with it. There will be three main types: (C) = Course (CU) = Course Unit (CW) = Course Work |-- (C) BTEC National Software Development   |-- (CU) Web Development    |-- (CW) Assignment One (Basic Pages)   |-- (CU) Software Development    |-- (CW) Assignment One (Methodologies)    |-- (CW) Assignment Two (Java)   |-- (CU) Computer Communications |-- (C)Some other Course   |-- (CU)Some Unit    |-- Some Assignment Above is how I plan to lay the treeview out and link everything. Each type will also have information with it: Course: -- Name -- Start Date -- End Date -- Head Lecturer -- Description Course Unit: -- Name -- Lecturer -- Completed? -- Description Course Work: -- Name -- Number -- Description -- Recieve Date -- Deadline Date -- % Complete I've done file I/O before but I have never tried to store alot of information which is in different sizes. So can any push me in the right direction of a good method to store this data? So that information can be linked with the items in the treeview and that keeps the order of the treeview. I was mabye thinking of an Access Database? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
You could probably do this using XML.

<course>
<name>BTEC National Software Development</name>
<start>July 1, 2005</start>
<course_unit>
<name>Unit 1</name>
<description>Unit 1 description</description>
<course_work>
<name>Assignment One</name>
<complete>90%</complete>
</course_work>
<course_work>
<name>Assignment Two</name>
<complete>20%</complete>
</course_work>
</course_unit>
</course>

The hard part is the loading/parsing but there are libraries out there that can help for that.

Thanks acraig, I hadnt thought of xml. It would probably make it easier for me once I get it donw. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!