the settlers...this is not a "i wanna make something similar" post. :)

Started by
8 comments, last by Squirm 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, anyone saw the newest "The Settlers" addon? fyi..screenshots ubisoft and bluebyte did a great job imo. i think it's a pretty good example of a heightmap with plenty of details on it. /discuss :) friendly regards, christoph
Advertisement
Although compared to Age of Empires 3 it looks tame. But we'll see when they are released.

ace
Too bad they've completely destroyed the settlers concept.
How has the game changed, i used to like the very first one, so playable.

Didn't they shift the game concept from "player begins with the seed of a town, tight interaction of buildings to evolve into a complex village" to "lets work those resource so we can conquer the guy next door" ?

I think I could still sit down and play the original Settlers...
Quote:Original post by Prozak
Didn't they shift the game concept from "player begins with the seed of a town, tight interaction of buildings to evolve into a complex village" to "lets work those resource so we can conquer the guy next door" ?

I think I could still sit down and play the original Settlers...

exactly.

way to butcher a gameconcept to conform to the mainstream market.
I played the second part... I liked it to build my town and put the pathes so that my production has no congestions. And i liked it just to look at my settlers working. But i did not like the battles. It is depressing to see your buildings burning after two hours of planning...

I think games like simcity, the settlers, rollercoaster tycoon look better in 2d. perhaps it is because i grew up with that...
The problem of Object Oriented Programming:Everybody tells you how to use his classes, but nobody how not to do it !
2D graphics are cute. Settlers was a cute game with cute sounds etc.
Realistic 3D graphics look more serious and are no fun to sit and watch your town and settlers working...
Looking at some of those screenshots it looks like there is a lot of stretching in the textures on vertical drops. I´ve never implemented a heighmap system but I do not really understand why, whenever there are almost vertical "cliffs" why they do not tile the texture. It is not like people are just making a 512x512 heightmap and slapping a 512x512 texture across the whole thing anymore. Can´t people keep textures from stretching on heightmaps? Am I missing something here that I do not understand? It is most likely the case, I can be obtuse at times.

Any thoughts?

- S
It's quite difficult to prevent. The textures are repeating, and dropped tile like onto the terrain from directly above. As soon as you start trying to apply them at different angles you find it is impossible to make the edges of the texture line up. Settlers always was a procedural world, so you can't insist on an artist sitting there for a few weeks drawing textures for your mountain side and making them match.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement