FireBlade Particle Engine

Started by
23 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, In this thread, I'm going to present my particle engine, which I developed in the last few months. It was developed with Borland Delphi using OpenGL. Current features: - particles drawn by using a dynamic Vertex Buffer Object - adequate calculation performance - physics - heightmap collision - all forms of blending - particle scripts (as far as you can call it a script, more a list with instructions ^^) + integrated debugger (more ore less bad coded, next version will be better) - gravity points with 3 different modes - wind (changing the flight path of every particle in the container without decreasing the performance) - debug mode (draws a vector at each particles position, which shows the direction and speed of a particle) - billboards -particle fonts (display short texts using particles; internal particle count optimization for better performance can be activated) the rar archive includes: - the engine itself - small demo showing some effects - logo - 4 tutorials with code and binarys TODO: - optimize the debugger - optimize performance using assembler for calculations - put the engine into a static dll (still didn't find resources for this, because I have to use interfaces and I've no matter how to use them =) ) download: Mirror 1 Mirror 2 screenshots: Fire Heightmap collision Effect Particle font logo I hope some of you are able to use it in their games. Please inform me so I can see whether further developing makes sense. I hope of some comments :) regards, sebastian [Edited by - KyRo1989 on September 16, 2005 11:18:59 AM]
Advertisement
Wow,

the screenshots looks awesome,
if i'll got time next week, i'll try it,

at which resolution did you the fire and how many particles did you use?

keep going,

greets
tgar
nice, one thing u might wanna look at is interaction between particlesystems
eg once the fire particle becomes past a certain age a smoke particle is created
also i believe the name fireblade has been used before (though picking an original name is an impossible task :))
Wow, this is demonstration is promising! Very well done!
Time to dive in . . . good job!
That is such a cool demo, I'm definately going to try this out in my game. I love that explosion and magnesium effect, very realistic.

Nice job :)
----------------------------------------------------
Check out my casual TBS game blog
----------------------------------------------------
Very nice. In particular I like the collision demo ('stress test') and the spirals. In the fireworks you should introduce an emission interval : a short interval in which the 'child particles' are emitted; so you can reduce the rectangular artifact before explosion (because the particles are not generated in the same time)

Good job!
thanks for your comments

@Thaligar
What did you suppose with resolution? (weil ich nicht sicher bin ob das richtig war, ob dus verstanden hast und ich meine, dass in deinem profil österreich stand, nochmal deutsch :) : was meinst du mit auflösung?)
I used 320 particles (including smoke) for this effect.

@zedzeek
well, I just do. but its very unclear with the black background, especially because I used a wrong blending mode for it (saw it just now :( )
I looked for the name before. Sure there are some products (I found a bike from yamaha, an additional name for a graphics card and a game), but i didn't find a particle or game engine (if you have a link to a product which was developed and released before the 24th January, I will rename it for sure. (it was released at DGL first: Link)

@blizzard999
This is a problem I don't know how to solve... maybe with fadein, but this may look a little bit strange. Another point is, that the texture is alphamasked and the alphachannel is at 0 around the particle, so these artefacts mustn't occur, but they do, and I don't know why...

Looks pretty

i'll give it a shot into my engine :)
yeah i'm austrian,

with resolution i meant the screen resolution at which it was rendered,
because particle engines, also the one i tried to do (never finished [sad])
got a big overdraw problem, and at increasing resolution the overdraw increase as
well as the fps goes down,

but your screenshots showed (from my point of view) very good framerates and still many particles,

and keep on, i wanna see more [wow]

greets
tgar
awesome work, nice to see more delphi and more game developers appearing in the scene, the heightfield collision is awesome, the screenshoot looks like it is a kind of fluid :O really nice work!!

hey, if you were to scan particle locations on the heightmap and they would interact themselves you could really make cool water :)

btw, do particles have a ability to split into other stuff when hitting wall? like an explosion? texture animations?

Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement