NetWork Engine

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 8 months ago
hey all, I am tryig to design a network engine. basicly it is a wrapper which will be like a Directplay. I would really like to know some design ideas because I am a bit lost in the huge possibilities. If someone has already worked on something like this and might provide me an example of his work or guide me. thank you.
Advertisement
Check out the Forum FAQ, which contains links to libraries such as RakNet, ReplicaNet, and others.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
well, i don't wana use a library.
I am using plain sockets the engine will be crossplatform and the company wants it to be built from scratch. what i would like is a small design or idea if possible.
for now i have a class that manages sessions , were u can create or join a session or view remote sessions.
thenthe session class which manages the players and player groups and the communication between them. and there is a callback function here ran every game loop.
you see the engine will have to be a bit general (like directplay only crossplatform). and will be used in a new Game Engine so it isn't specific for a game or so.
The libraries pointed at by the Forum FAQ have documentation. Reading the openly available documentation for as many libraries as possible is pretty much required research before you can start designing your own. There's a bunch of other required knowledge, too, some of which is likely pointed at by the Forum FAQ as well.

However, if you've never done this before, and your company depends on the outcome of the library, I'd suggest adding to the team someone who has.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement