• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ancient Spirit

Rendering Question

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
What model format are you working with? Some formats are better suited for different animation techniques. As an example, MD2 is designed for keyframe animation where as MS3D has skeletal animation in mind.

As for making the hair bounce, it depends on your hair model. A physics simulation would be ideal but this may not be an option. Check out the mermaid demo from Nvidia to see an awesome representation of real-time hair.

lets say i use maya for the making of 3d models, and lets say i can convert it to almoust any format :)

what will you recommend and where can i find info about it?

My advice - skeletal animation for the legs and a physics simulation for the hair. Both can be done on the GPU with modern graphics cards.

Look at the hair in this simulation.

But the hair would require a modern graphics card. A more compatible solution would be to model the hair and animate it with bones just like the legs. I wouldn't consider it a realistic solution though.

Ouch. I don't mean to bust your balls here, but you should really consider upgrading. As a game developer, even if your target audience is in the lower technology range of computers, you should develop your applications on a high end system to speed up the process of building, testing, etc.

About references, here are a few links I found in a moment's time. There are probably more recent articles out there (SIGGRAPH), but this will give you a start.

Real-Time Hair Simulation

Realistic Real-Time Hair Simulation and Rendering
Physically Based Simulation of Hair Strips in Real Time

Skeletal Animation

Skeletal Animation using the MilkShape 3D File Format
Implementing Skin Meshes with DirectX 8
Working with the DirectX .X File Format and Animation in DirectX 9.0

Have fun reading. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Ancient Spirit
i have an intel extreme graphics 2 Display Adapter :(

Then don't expect to make any hair that looks like hair if you want real-time rendering.

However physical simulated hairs is one of the most difficult things to do (also in prerendered 3D movies!) :)

For the animation you should also take a look at milkshape (program and tutorials) and google for skeletal animations.
The idea and the implementation is very easy: you have a set of hierarchical nodes : you can imagine that these nodes are the junctures and the link are the bones.
You have to store the position of these 'joints' (another common term) for every frame; when the skeleton move from one frame to another you move and or rotate the vertices of your mesh assigned to a certain node.
The real problem is how to produce realistic skeletal animation!
If you go to the milkshape main page you can find (download section) a nice source code with the sdk to load and render via OpenGL animated models!!!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!