• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LordAsm

OpenGL Isometric land on OpenGL

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I'm new to OpenGL, i am trying to figure out a good way to make terrains in an isometric view with openGL. I set up an ortho view with glOrtho and draw a big array of vertex to make the tiles quads. But in ortho view, i'm not being able to deform my vertex list in order to acheive height, as i'm not being able to see any difference when i change the Z value, and in projection mode, i'm not getting any isometric tile, as it "shrinks" when the poly go far from the screen. How i can set an isometric view with OpenGL being able to push vertex up/down to make hills and valleys, keeping the isometric view style? Se ya! -LordAsm-

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by LordAsm
But in ortho view, i'm not being able to deform my vertex list in order to acheive height, as i'm not being able to see any difference when i change the Z value
Lighting (with proper normals) should make the differences in height visible. Check out the lighting chapter in the Red Book.

For a standard isometric look you should use ortho, rotate ~60 degrees around X-axis and 45 degrees around Z-axis so it's "slanted". You may also need to translate the map "into the screen" a bit so it won't be clipped by the near plane.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!