GameTutorials.com Question

Started by
1 comment, last by Chrysaor 18 years, 8 months ago
I was looking around online and came across GameTutorials.com. The tutorials look exactly like what i want. Especially the C++ one, it seems to go into detail on how to make a simple 2d game just using command prompt, and even goes into connecting to other's computers online. The Win32 tutorials and openGL also look wonderfull. Since they gave me a student discount i can buy all of them for $40. However, 40 bux will take me a while to collect. (eh, i'm 16, give me a break >.<) I was just curious if anyone has personally bought the tutorials, and if so how good are they? is there a better tutorial online i could use for free? Or, assuming no one will get into any trouble, does anyone have a copy i could take a look at? I guess my bottom line question is, i'm not sure wether the money is worth it or not. Can any verify this either way? Thanks in advance^^ Meow!
Advertisement
Kurro,

I'm not sure what your experience level is, or what resources you have access to, so I'll just give you my usual answer.

If you're not fully versed in C++, dont worry about game development yet. Pick up a Deitel & Deital C++ How To Program book and go from beginning to end, implement all the tests, etc... When its done, you'll have as good an understanding of C++ as most people.

Next move on to Data Structures. This will help you not only come to understand the concepts associated with data structures, but will also help you master Pointers and allocating memory on the heap.

From here, you get to get into the good stuff. Pick and API - Direct3D or OpenGL and dive in to making games. Start small, Pong, Breakout, Pac-Man, etc...and over time you'll begin to get comfortable with Rendering, User Input, Networking, Sound, etc...

After you've got a basic understanding and a few small titles under your belt, then start buying books and taking classes on VERY SPECIFIC topics. Broad books on how to make a game of genre X in 21 days are a waste of money and time.

Also, if you're at all interested in Rendering, I advise you to go beyond the minimum of learning DirectX or OpenGL and write your software rasterizer. This will give you a chance to really understand the math and concepts behind rendering. Anyways...I could go on and on.....if you'd like, send me a PM and I can give you some guidance and recommend some good resources.

Cheers!
Jeromy
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I actually have most of those tutorials saved on my comp (I got them before they started charging for it).

I used them a lot,and look at them now and again for reference. Would I pay 40$ for them, no. There are alot of good sites that have free tutorials.

Look around the web for tutorials dealing with what you want. Nehe is great for opengl, and I am also fond of www.ultimategameprogramming.com. If you havent found what you want on other sites or don't want to spend more time looking around, then sure, go ahead and buy them from game tutorials. They are heavily commented and do a good job of explaining things for a beginner. But like you said, 40$ isn't easy for you to get, so try exploring the web first. Free alternatives exist, that I am sure of.

Good luck and godspeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement