• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

Taking the big plunge: Writing a first 3D game

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I've enough game programming experience in 2D to take my plunge into the great world of 3D programming. I bought Managed DirectX 9 Kickstart(C# is my language of choice, and I can port tutorials from C++ to C# for stuff like terrain rendering/etc.). However, I have 0 experience in the 3 dimensional world. Even though I understand the fundamentals and most of the maths involved until now, my mind is still filled with questions. First off, I'm going to start out with a simple game in 3D, and start out with Asteroids. The game looks 3D, but behaves 2D, as the player can't move along the Y axis(Up/down). Camera will be at a 45 degree angle. I know how to handle my asteroids, my space ship, movement, collision detection, etc. As I want to render space and stars, I think using a skydome is the solution to that and then randomly generate some "star" textures for it. Would this be a clever idea, and if not, what are my options? Also, I want some sort of grid-lines below the ship/asteroids, similar to what Star Trek Starfleet Command has. However, how the hell do I generate these gridlines? I want to render them across the entire playing area. Also, as many futuristic space games, my ship will have lasers/phasers, Star Trek style aswell. Similar question, how do I generate these? Triangle-strips? Downside is that the beam would look different from a different cam angle. Or do I use a long cilinder and wrap a texture around it(And perhaps add some HLSL info to it). Toolmaker

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
First off, I'm going to start out with a simple game in 3D, and start out with Asteroids. The game looks 3D, but behaves 2D, as the player can't move along the Y axis(Up/down). Camera will be at a 45 degree angle.
After a while, it's easier to see Z as up/down.

Quote:
Also, I want some sort of grid-lines below the ship/asteroids, similar to what Star Trek Starfleet Command has. However, how the hell do I generate these gridlines? I want to render them across the entire playing area.
Render them as a 2D UI element before everything else.

Original post by Corsix
Quote:
Render them as a 2D UI element before everything else.

I want the grid to be 3 dimensional, so it moves around with the world. I'm going to try and see how a line list will work out.

Other than that, I still have no clue how to do most things, so I'm going to spend some time experimenting.

Toolmaker

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!