• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kristafarii

Unity What are your views on the Torque Engine?

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been thinking for a while about getting a bit more serious with Games Programming and investing in an indie licence for the Torque engine. So far I've made a simple 3D engine and realised that if I want to make anything half decent this side of the next century I'll need a 3rd party game engine. The Torque engine seems to be pretty good, affordable, capable of delivering a decent game, comes with editors and there's a reasonable Torque community. I was wondering how many others use it (as the licences seem to be per user, not dev team) and what you think of it. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Advertisement
I've always made my own engines, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I've messed around with Torque a little bit. My impression is that it's a decent engine and the scripting language is okay, but it seems that doing anything worthwhile would require throwing down the $100 for the source.

(edit) IIRC, the liscence is per anyone with access to actual code

IMO: Torque is an absolute steal if you want a full game engine with an active community, access to source code, documentation, and future updates. Some of the technologies are getting a little old, but it's still more than you'd be able to write yourself in any reasonable amount of time.

Because I'm often called it's #1 fanboy, I feel it's my responsability to point you to 3D GameStudio (www.conitec.net).

It's a full featured Authorware suite that doesn't give you source code like Torque, but provides higher level functionality which makes putting a game together 10x quicker than an experienced programmer could with Torque.

If you want to do specilized game programming (as in tweaking the net code or optimizing the graphics pipeline yourself), than Torque is the way to go.

If you want to do quick development however and not bother with intricate programming (their scriptiing language is very programmer friendly), then 3DGS is for you.

I played around with it for a bit close to a year ago. I unfortunately bought a book (can't remember the name), that wasted my time. I didn't buy the license at the time because I was still confused and I didn't understand what was going on with all of the scripts the engine used. The book didn't help and left me even more confused.

Lately, however, I find myself in your shoes and I need an engine. I've been thinking about looking at it again, seeing as how it has been a year and my programming skills have developed quite a bit.

My advise:
I'd look through the tutorials and make sure you have a grasp of what is going on before you fork out the money to purchase the license. Take a look at some of the newer engines like Yake and see what you think. I know I'd feel awful if I'd spent 100 bucks on something I didn't use.

I have a licence for the 2D engine and that is really good.

I will be getting it when I need a 3d engine based off what I have found with the 2d engine. You get access to the private TGE forums which are very good and helpful.

if you want to take your project to the next generation you can get the Torque shader engine which looks amazing.

I own a license for Torque. It's certainly something to consider if you're looking for an engine to use or study. Some parts of it are backwards (the render pipeline, or lack thereof, for example; but that's where the Torque Shader Engine comes in), but it's still a very nice piece of software for the price. The scripting system is pretty robust.

I can't say I've actually used it for any real game project; but if you're serious about your game than I'd say to give Torque a serious look.

Kristafarii

I agree that to get serious in game programming a third party 3d game engine is a must.
The happy days of all in one game programmers are over, in my opinion.
However I do not really understand why Torque is so popular.
There are much better game engines, at the same price level, on the market.
For example Truevision3D or even DarkBasic SDK.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!