Hello GameDev...

Started by
9 comments, last by Richy2k 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi there everybody! I've been freqeunting the forums for a while now and have decided to try and become an active GameDev.net member. I am a friend of Arex on these forums. Anyways, I thought I'd try and enter with a bang, so I have a screenshot of the terrain engine I've been working on, which can be found here: http://www.pyrrhictech.cjb.net/ The site isn't much, just a placeholder for my latest screenshots. I hope I can bring some good stuff to the forums to help do my part. I'm a C/C++, DX, Win32 programmer mostly, but have dabbled a little in other areas and will certainly try to do my part. I hope you enjoy the screenshot and look forward to hearing opinions, advice and lending a hand when I can. Terry
Advertisement
Welcome (I guess...)! You're engine looks great! How long have you been working on it? Plans for it?
Welcome to the site! It looks good, but a little dark.. otherwise, nice to have you joining us. Good luck in all your game programming endeavors. =)

Take it easy.

---
Michael Tanczos
Welcome to GameDev! Stay away from The Lounge if you want to keep any level of productivity...
Glad to see a positive response on both my presence and the engine. I'd be happy to outline the engine for you:

The game engine is called Pyrrhic Technology. It has current support for all Windows operating systems, and I would like to do a Linux port. I have full DX support currently, but again, would like to p;ort it to OGL once I have an established base. The entire engine is very easy to port render and operating systems. There is full input support for DirectInput and legacy Windows support as well.

There are some semi-advanced features, such as 64-bit HDR lighting and full shader support. The terrain engine itself is heavily optimized and runs very smoothly, even on my P3 500Mhz, with GeForce 5200 and 160 Mb of RAM.

The terrain engine itself is built from 64 x 64 32-bit PNG heightmaps and all normals, multi-texturing and shading info is loaded from a pre-generated file. The terrain is entirely self-shadowing and utilizes all of the engine's advanced features (such as resource management).

As for my future plans, I would like to complete multi-texturing and texture blends in the next little while. Then I plan to write a font system and release a tech demo of the engine shortly thereafter to get a rough idea of where the engine stands on other computers (aside from the ones I own).

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. Any other comments or suggestions on the screenshot above would certainly be welcome.

Terry

P.S. Micheal: Yea, the darkness was indeed purposeful, mostly for effect.
Welcome aboard! I vote nice screenshot as well. Are you going to add support for foilage as well? I'd like to see some trees [wink]
Welcome to GDNet, and good luck with that project, it looks like it's coming along great. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yeah, very nice looking screenshot indeed! Keep it up m8 ! :D
Sincerely,Arto RuotsalainenDawn Bringer 3D - Tips & Tricks
sw33t! =D keep up the good work, and stay away from the lounge as they said ;)
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
I added a much higher resolution screenshot for those interested. I am hoping to add the timer and font classes in tonight and tomorrow and get an FPS count to release a tech demo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement