2D 3D

Started by
6 comments, last by alex32 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, Is there any advanced 3D tool able to convert a 2D image into a 3D model and animate it ? As a human can do that, i'm sure a 3D veteran can figure out how to program it... please reply..
Advertisement
AFAIK, it doesn't exist but to a certain extent it would be possible and interesting to experiment with this.

Not a single 2D image, you'd need several to get a 3D perspective of what the object looks like. I'd imagine that it would be possible to write something that took several images from well defined perspectives and modeled something approximating it's shape.

But if it is to be animated.. well that would be incredibly complex.
That's actually an active area of research in computer vision. It can be done for certain images, such as that of paintings or architecture, but the results won't be up to the standard where you can just plug them into a game.

Now, if you've got a video of the object, especially a video that you can control, that makes it a bit easier. There are techniques for modelling 3D objects by scanning an image by rotating it in front of a camera. There's also research in reconstructing scenes from camera sequences (that's close to my present area of research). However I'm not sure if the software will be cheap...
Thanks all,

I'm new to 3D , where i can get some existing 3D models which i can then edit and use ? I mean there should be a sort of library which, i believe, is compatible with most of the 3D tools as well as OpelGL and Direct3D...

If you want free 3D models you're gonna have to hunt for them. Two sites that do have them are TurboSquid and 3D Cafe. There will be plenty more all over the net, you'll just have to find them.
Thanks for the clue Monder..
For a decent cheap-as-chips modeller, I like Milkshape 3D. The SDK makes writing plugins for your own custom importers/exporters a doddle, (for simple models you can just use the bundled &#106avascript plugin to write an exporter - in my verison, it chokes on larger models) which is a bonus.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement