Test my app...

Started by
8 comments, last by Rob Loach 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, please test out the beginnings of my little GL 3D Engine. It still uses horrible things like GLUT. Was built with VS6. From here >> globe [zip] (update)<< Escape – Exits F1 – Full screen (yes I used the NeHe base code) Arrow to turn / move forward. Hold middle mouse to orbit S & X up and down D & C change cam distance. I’m specifically interested in feed back about animation smoothness. I’m getting glitches every few seconds. Best way to see this is by holding down up and left key. Spin around in circles. I’ve not yet been able to debug this problem, may be one of the well documented QueryPerformanceCounter issues. Thanks DaveC [Edited by - bobason456 on August 12, 2005 10:06:59 PM]
Advertisement
oh, go on... please.
"The apllication has failed to start because glut32.dll was not found, Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
because you dont have glut.. I thought every one would have that :)
You thought wrong, as I get the same error on my Windows XP SP2 installation.

Toolmaker

no glut32.dll here either ;)
The lerping realignment of camera feels very good.
I noticed holding down D eventually puts the view point over the top of the uhh... thing, where it bugs out a little. Might want to put a limit on how close up the D key will take you.

Heh, after a while I realized what is really happening with the scene when I'm pushing the buttons. ;)

Want advices? Got a few:
- drop glut, as it's been dropped like 7(?) years ago, AFAIK. You could use glfw. It's extremely handy.
- either hold mouse within the window entirely, or don't let the program own it at all. I couldn't see the cursor, when it was outside the viewport and still inside the window, making it hard to move or close the window.
- come up with better interface, as holding the mouse and operating directional keys, and "SXDC" keys at the same time is quite impossible ;)

And I didn't see any glitches. Everything moves smoothly as hell. And yes, you got some(I think) numerical instability when too close to the object, got to check it out.

Other than that, well, nice work, especially with the following camera and stuff.

Cheers.
~def
Ok,

From here >> globe [zip] (update)<<

Consider Glut dropped. I was using it only to draw text glutBitmapCharacter and Sphere drawing.. This has been replaced, with some third party code I found on google today, though I’ll rewrite it all soon enough.

I’ve written four engines in the past, all ending because of bad pre planning, no thought going into design. So I’m taking things really slow this time (this is the first GL one). I’ll be looking at that box man for a while longer I think.

Thanks for the comments though.

The current interface is not how it’s going to work. The user will orbit with the middle mouse button. Movement will be by clicking a destination, the character will move to automatically to the new location.

As for the numerical instability, I’m yet to add limits to the cam movement but that should solve those problems.

As far as the mouse pointer goes I’m a bit fresh to Windows programming, under c++. So I still have to work out what message is going to tell me the position is out side the drawing window. Or the height of the title bar, and so on.
Globe, the final frontier. [smile]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement