• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
miminawewe

Final Blessings!

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making the game solo. I know the theory of making the necessary engines i.e physics, maths, and a little of the other stuff(A.I, scripting), I also know how to model stuff with 3ds max. I have a copy of Game Programming Gems 4, which I read as a reference, Mathematics of Game Engines And Computer Graphics, Effective c++, more effective c++ and tonnes of tutorials and papers from the net, all of which I have read. I have planned the game making process i.e story line, characters and the effects I want.What more do I need before I sit down in my bedroom and start coding?

Advertisement
I'd say you will be in for an (un?)pleasant surprise when you finally do sit down and start coding the game. Figuring out how all the different aspects of your game (the renderer, the scene graph, the objects, the effects, the scripting system, the physics engine, the resource manager, the GUI, etc) are going to work together in an intuitive fashion is no small task! I'd get this part working first, -then- worry about storyline, etc :)

Bah, just get cranking! Choose the most simple game you can think of, like Pong. Then tackle one problem at a time :) When that's done, try your "real game" and try to reuse some of the Pong code or design - here you'll get a better understanding of what an "engine" is.

Best of luck!

"What more do I need before I sit down in my bedroom and start coding?"

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of coffee/red bull/coke/dr pepper/etc.

First, you need a well-defined goal. Understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish. For a game starting from scratch, a common sequence of goals might be:

1) Open a window and draw a triangle.
2) Draw a mesh of triangles to represent the terrain, and a cube for a character.
3) Write the collision routines to allow the character to move across the mesh.

These are the basics that are pretty much ubiquitous across all games. From then on, your goals diverge and things start to take shape.

I just posted about this more generally in another thread, so you can see how I direct my own work.

Good Luck.

If you don't have a proper design, at least write a basic plan. Then a list of big chunks of work. Then a list for each chunk breaking it into smaller pieces of work.

For each week, make a list of which bits you want to do, and each day revise this - maybe have a special list for each day. Cross items off as you do them and update the plan as you find that parts of it are impractical/stupid/impossible (this will happen a lot).

So in essence, be organised. Thinking about how your source code files are organised into projects and folders is a useful thing too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!