• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dave

Windows Socket Programming - Need something to connect to.

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Well following a tutorial i have a simple winsock program to test, it connects to a specific port on a specific server. But i have nothing to connect to. Can anyone offer a server or suggestions? ace

Advertisement
You should take this opprotunity to make your own server. :) If it's for a game you're most likely going to have to make the server sometime down the road anyway. What kind of client is it that you made?

Well what i was attempting to do was run the client, on port 8888 on my computer then connect to it using hyperterminal by connecting with my home network local ip and the socket 8888 and it would connect.

ace

So is it actually possible for me to run a client and a server on the same machine and have them talking to each other?

ace

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
So is it actually possible for me to run a client and a server on the same machine and have them talking to each other?

ace

That's how I usually develop things so either my perception of reality is warped and Im a dilusional madman, or it's possible.

It wouldn't be objective if I passed judgement on the matter so I'll refrain from that.

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove

ace

Yea, imagine how hard it would be to develop networking applications otherwise.

Well thats what im thinking, is it still possible behind a home router. If so how can i go about connecting say to Hyperterminal applications together and having them talk to eachother?

ace

When we're testing client/server apps on the same machine we just connect to 127.0.0.1 (the local host.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!