• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shirsoft

Fragment shaders woes

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have solved some issues of my fragment shaders issues with my program (which is made up completely of fragment shaders) using nvshaderperf and cgc. Now my problem is that my programs runs at 130fps on my 6800 but only 7fps on my 5200. The thing that baffles me is that it takes up to 80% of cpu on my 5200 machine but 5-10% on my 6800 machine. I thought it was software rendering but then software rendering is supposed to be extremely slow and it isn't running that slow either. any suggestions how to find out why my cpu is being used up so much.

Advertisement
I had this problem (linux), the header files i were using were not the ones supplied by the graphics card, so you need to link to them instead. (Read the readme for the graphics drivers on where they are.)

// Standard ones where here, i got 5 fps on very simple progs.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

// Graphics card ones were here, 5000fps+ i now get. :D
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think it might be the version of shaders you are using. For example, i have program for Vertex Shader 2.0, but my graphics card can't run it because it is old. So the application is running but the execution of the program for Vertex Shader is emulated on CPU.

Do you use Vertex Shader 3.0 ? Is it supported by GF FX 5200 by GPU ?

Another reason is that execution of shaders should be much faster on GF6 series cards than on FX series cards.

the problem is resolved ... i was running the same exe on the 2machines... i just recompiled and works fine but more issues come up now :((

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!