• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kostiak

How to begin?

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
-Compiler for your language of choice with IDE
-Sound Recorder/Editor (maybe even a MIDI tool if you know how to compose music)
-2D Graphics Editor
-3D Graphics Editor

First of all, What kind of game do you want to make? Because there are different options according to the game type. Would you like to use a game authoring tool? Is your game 2D or 3D?

Quote:
Original post by lordciriuz
First of all, What kind of game do you want to make? Because there are different options according to the game type. Would you like to use a game authoring tool? Is your game 2D or 3D?

what tool?? and i want it to be 3d

Okay... there's quite a bit, and certainly too much to cover right now.

You're going to need to learn to program a language, so a compiler and a linker would work well there. Also, a good IDE is generally thought of as a necessity. After programming your engine(s) (or buying a pre-made one, or a free one), you're going to have to program your game. This is done via many ways, from straight programming to using programs which generate the code for you. You're going to need modelling software to create the 3D models, and you're going to need something to do with sound. You're going to require many man-hours to do all of this, and you're going to probably have to start smaller. But that was a pretty brief overview, so I suppose you know where to start now.

i have most of these:
i have dev-c++, maya 6.5, irrlicht(engine),photoshop 6, ill get sound.. do i need anything else (not just for beginners, but for pro game making)?

First look at the FAQ of this board and http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
you need to know whit what language you want to start and for that you have to know what kinda game developer you want to be, professional or hobbyst and how much time you want to spend in learning game development.

If you want to become a professional then I suggest that you learn C++.
You will need to buy some books for learning this.

If you want to do this as hobbyst you can try using an authoring tool such as Macromedia Director.

But if you want more flexibility I suggest that you learn a programming language (especialy if you want to get in 3D game programming) such as Python (a quite simple one to learn but powerfull enough for games, more info on www.python.org) or even C++ if you want to spend much time in it.
Good luck!

-Fenryl

You may find this useful as well.

But genrally for doing this professionaly you have to get to grips with C++. Get a C++ book and go through the entire thing from beginning to end. My first C++ book was Deitel and Deitel, and I went through it from cover to cover, it was quite easy to follow. After you have a hold of C++, you'll need to learn how to use a 3D API (Application Programming Interface). Think of a 3D API as an interface between you and the graphics card. This is of course if you want to get into 3d programming side of things. You can't do all the things for games. Most people (inclusing me) make the mistake of thinking they can do everything by themselves - make the art, make teh music, program the engine, program the game - but it doesnt work that way. Best advice I can give you is to choose one thing and specialize at it. Don't be a jack of all trades, it sucks, I'm learning that now...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!