newbie here, code doesnt compile

Started by
6 comments, last by ruddj16 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello been programming console C++ for around a year now... I decided I'll go for a little more of a challenge anyway been looking at code and now stripped some to its bear min... I've tried to be a little too adverntous now and seeking help as to why the following code doesnt compile..

#include <windows.h>		// Header File For Windows
#include <gl\gl.h>		// Header File For The OpenGL32 Library
#include <gl\glu.h>		// Header File For The GLu32 Library
#include <gl\glaux.h>		// Header File For The Glaux Library

HDC		hDC=NULL;	// Private GDI Device Context
HGLRC		hRC=NULL;		// Permanent Rendering Context
HWND		hWnd=NULL;		// Holds Our Window Handle
HINSTANCE	hInstance;		// Holds The Instance Of The Application

WinMain()
{
int a = 0;
if (a ==0)
 {
 MessageBox(NULL,"Failed.","SHUTDOWN ERROR",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);
 }

return 0;
}
For all the soruce codes ive seen none create a WinMain or a main for that fact, so where does the code start to excute? And why doesnt this work? The following errors are generated: c:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\c\test\test.cpp(12): error C2731: 'WinMain' : function cannot be overloaded c:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\c\test\test.cpp(12): warning C4007: 'WinMain' : must be '__stdcall' Thanks John.
Advertisement
int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int )

MSDN is very useful for such things.
Your WinMain function is declared wrong, it takes specific arguments and has a specific return type.

See this MSDN page for details on how to declare it and what each parameter represents.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Nehe
shouldn't winmain look more like:

int WINAPI WinMain(	HINSTANCE	hInstance,				// Instance			HINSTANCE	hPrevInstance,				// Previous Instance			LPSTR		lpCmdLine,				// Command Line Parameters			int		nCmdShow)				// Window Show State{

the return type and params are probably why the compiler thinks you are trying to overload winmain. WINAPI probably ensures it uses the stdcall convention.

Just guesses.
[size="1"]
with the help of msdn and a tad of logic i got this code:

#include <windows.h> // Header File For Windows
#include <gl\gl.h> // Header File For The OpenGL32 Library
#include <gl\glu.h> // Header File For The GLu32 Library
#include <gl\glaux.h> // Header File For The Glaux Library

int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, // Instance
HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, // Previous Instance
LPSTR lpCmdLine, // Command Line Parameters
int nCmdShow) // Window Show State
{

MessageBox(NULL,"Error.","SHUTDOWN ERROR",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);

//return 0;

}

it all compiles and runs correctly ... only question is how does it know when its got to exit code? ie run sucess? In standard c++ you always end your int main() with return 0; since main expects an int to be returned. Here theres no int main but int WINAPI so in theory it needs a return code?
Quote: From MSDN
If the function succeeds, terminating when it receives a WM_QUIT message, it should return the exit value contained in that message's wParam parameter. If the function terminates before entering the message loop, it should return zero.
WM_QUIT isnt written anywhere i got the impression that it should be?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement