• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dimensionX

DirectX

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a well experienced programmer in OpenGL + GLSL. Now I want to learn the DirectX (Direct3D) from the basics and later move to HLSL. If somebody could suggest a book similar to OpenGL Redbook for Direct3D it would be of good help. I don't want this thread spawn into another OpenGL vs. Direct3D discussion. I just want to learn DirectX for kicks. Also please suggest a good C# book too. Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by thannett
I've got Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank Luna. It's pretty good.

Seconded, that's what I'm going through right now. Has everything you need to begin D3D9 programming!

Quote:
I've got Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank Luna. It's pretty good.

Here also, I'm starting this book atm and i must say that it is pretty good and well explained.

As for C# books, if it doesnt have to be game programing speicific any of the Deitel and Deitel books are amazing.

C# For Experienced Programmers
Harvey M. Deitel

is a good one

[edit] spelling

Quote:
Original post by Blackkata
As for C# books, if it doesnt have to be game programing speicific any of the Deitel and Deitel books are amazing.

C# For Experienced Programmers
Harvey M. Deitel

is a good one

[edit] spelling

I thing I am convinced to get "Introduction to 3D Game Programming using DirectX 9.0". I bet it doesn't explain much about gamming, most of the time they are just buzz words for better sales. I am not looking for game specific DirectX and also I looked at the Table of Contents, I am happy with it.

Isn't it for advanced C# programmers ? I am looking for something similar to C++ book by Bjarne Stroustrup. Also not looking for anything specific to game programming, something that explains the language features in detail.

Quote:

Seconded. If you know OpenGL through and through, a quick scan through this book and you will be off to a great start. I also have the advanced version of the book and I must say they work well as a group.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!