Games and Game Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by krum 18 years, 8 months ago
I've been working on several games for the older Macintosh systems (prior to OS 9!) and have run into problems... But, that's not why I'm writing this! For an INDY developer and trying to do it on your own is truly a difficult task. Managing your residence and bills, a long-term relationship AND finding time to fine tune some graphics or code or a description of some goblin or monster! Working with other programming languages (other than the so-called C++ and C# standard!) has been everything BUT a fruitful experience! I am trying to program my MMORPG in THINK Pascal 4.5 for my Mac Quadra 610--try to find a viable (and FAST) 3D engine for a 68LC040 microprocessor! OpenGL would be an excellent choice, but I do not have access to it since much of it is written in C/C++ and I do not have the funds to purchase CodeWarrior or any other 'generic' C++ compiler! (You see, my bills come FIRST!) I've been working on a sci-fi RPG for over 10 years and have been looking for some art for it. Paper & text RPGs have been my forte for years: refereeing and playing-- so, I had the bright idea to convert my SFRPG into an MMORPG. But, my first concern was: 3D engine on my Older Mac! (Who has one? BUNGIE for their "Marathon" trilogy--too expensive! I found a rudimentary pseudo-3D environment on a search for "Sprite Animation Toolkit" (it resulted in Blaising Cabala and an old 'LabMouse' demo!)) There are others but I don't have the FUNDS to tackle the Licensing Fees (some in excess of $3000US!). So, doing it myself has some major drawbacks! I'm the Art/Sound/Code programmer and the Author of the backstory and all of the other neat odds and ends that good games MUST have! Needlesstosay, I'm a little overwhelmed! (Okay, I am venting a bit.) But, any REAL help along the way would be APPRECIATED. Evensofar, I'd put your name/alias in a Special Thanks section of the documentation with your webpage and a Helpful Hints notice! Thanks.
Advertisement
If you're looking for a software 3D engine, try the 3D graphics forum, or the embedded devices forum (because the 68040 is about the same power as a modern cell phone). The networking/multiplayer forum just isn't

Regarding balancing your life: wait until you've got three kids and a dog, and you'll look back at your current situation with sentimentality ;-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by Aryu Limitless
OpenGL would be an excellent choice, but I do not have access to it since much of it is written in C/C++ and I do not have the funds to purchase CodeWarrior or any other 'generic' C++ compiler! (You see, my bills come FIRST!)

Free C++ compilers exist, more specifically GCC and a bunch of free IDEs that will work on it. Links here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31
Quote:Original post by Aryu Limitless
I am trying to program my MMORPG in THINK Pascal 4.5 for my Mac Quadra 610

You get points for being masochistic.

mas·och·ism

3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement