Unreal Tournament 2d...

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Here's a couple of interesting questions... Alot of people like Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc for thier competition modes. But I was wondering if anyone here would like to play a game along those same lines...only in 2d. Here's some examples... Imagine a game of CTF where the game was played over a semi-large 2d landscap from an overhead perspective. The concept could be similar to the old game Guerilla War...or It could along the lines of the Top-down Stages of Super Contra. Provided the action was fast enough, do you think this idea would be fun? What about this one. Same concept of CTF, but instead of it being a top-down game, its more a platformer type game. People choose different styles of moving around, bionic arms, super jumps, jet packs etc, but you'r moving across various platforms to reach the other side and take out your opponents, as well as capture the flag. Honestly do you think either one of these games could be fun. I'd be thinking about something along the lines of simpler graphics. Though whether or not to go full 2d, or 3d faking 2d is all up for grabs...
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Advertisement
I had same/similar idea before in my head, but never implemented it. I think it should be fun.
Nice idea. Just realize that dodging in 2D would be quite hard (as is aiming the gun)
There is a game called Soldat that is basically a 2d side-scrolling UT. You should check it out. (I cant remember the web site, just google it ;)
Its still a vauge concept in my head...but I'm thinking of including a some of the classic contra style (spread, laser, homing missile etc) in the design. As well as some way to "Block" a weapon. Right now its still gelling inside my head...but I'll post a design doc when It does.

Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
There are three games you need to play:

The first is Abuse. It's an old side-scrolling shooter that uses weapon selection and a mouse/keyboard combo to spectacular effect. It's fast, and fun, and has all the basic elements of UT: A wide array of guns, powerups, and mobility.

Second, play Super Smash Bros. There's one for the Gamecube that you should be able to find at your local rental place. It's got good graphics (3D bound into a 2D arena), scalable view that lets you keep track of the action without getting confused, and, most important of all, a really neat dodging system that lets your guy duck into the third dimension to avoid hits, or use a limited shield power, or counter attacks with other attacks. It's easy, once you get used to it, and very deep.

Third and finally, try Clonk Planet. It's a fun little 2D game something like Worms or Lemmings in appearance. The little Clonks can use a wide array of weapons and items to fight one another. Randomly generated maps, deformable terrain, destructable buildings, and ambient weather effects all show how sophisticated a fairly simple game can be.
I'm curious how many people might be able to be done in a 2d game like this and still be fun. Ideally this would cover somewhat large levels.

Would a top down perspective allow for a larger audiance, or would a platforming.

Would a game be good if it combined two different stages. As players choose stages some are top down, while others are platforming types.
I remeber playing a commerical top-down shooter game about 3-4 years ago or so it was fun and no one else released something remotley like it. Another game I can think of it duke nukem: mahatten project, it was a 3d game but with a fixed angle on the side, it was quite fun too. I say draw out some concept sketches and or write out your ideas and see where you can go with it.
Take a look at Counter-Strike 2D [wink] Give it a try and see for yourself how you like it. I would offer my opinion, but I can't download for a while on this wireless internet. Anyways after you try the 2D version play the 3D version of CS to see how it compares and draft out the differences, similarities, and any thing else notable between the two and which you prefer. Then draft up a few surveys and ask people who play either or to fill them out to get a general idea of the idea and the whole 'fun factor'.
Play soldat. It is the game you're referring to.
::FDL::The world will never be the same

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement