• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Redass

Skinned mesh tutorials

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, It seems their is very few tutorials /books on skinned meshes using .x files. I could not find a good book either in the book section. Book review from Amazon on the one book I found said it sucked... I have the book Programming Role Playing With DirectX by Jim Adams witch has a chapter on it but it`s far from being enough. I am looking for something that build solid basis by clearly explaining the building block of skinned meshes. Any tutorial / book suggestions? Thanks. Fred

Advertisement
Hi,

thanks for your quick awnser. I should have mentionned that I had already read that article. As it comes from gamedev I should have known it would be the first awnser I would get ;). However, I would like something that goes more in depth. That details things like the parsing and frame hierarchies, etc. as it really help to understands those kind of details to write and debug your own classes.

Hi Redass,

A famous book that describes skinned meshes in depth is:

"Advanced Animation with DirectX", by Jim Adams

There are some web tutorials that could help you with more informations:
link1
link2
link3

Good luck

Hi
i'm a beginner but if it can help
i founded adriano's link 1 some weeks ago with a source code at http://moon-labs.com/ml_resources.htm

but it has a very slow rendering

what about downloading some skinned mesh that works? someone have a good link?

Baf

Thanks a lot Adriano, the links seem great, I'll read them for sure. I was wondering about the book because one of the only review on Amazon says the book uses the old DirectX interface (prior to when mesh loading functions where moved to D3DX) and that this fact rendered it pretty useless. Is their a newer version? Or was this review wrong?

Fred

Thanks for the links Adriano! I've been looking into implementing animated meshes in my engine, and was confused over some parts of it. I feel a lot more confident now about it!

Well this helps a lot, now it works and I understand a lot better what's going on.

Now does anyone knows where to find some skinned mesh, beside tiny.x?

Fred

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!