• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rajivtm

Corrupted Bitmaps Problem

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello- I'm making a game with C# and DirectX 9, but I can't figure out why I'm getting these corrupted-looking bitmaps. When the game runs for a while, about 10 minutes on a high-end computer and about 2 minutes on a low-end computer, the graphics just kind of get staticy, as if they are corrupted somehow. The bitmaps are stored as resources and I am using DirectDraw. Here's a before and after example: Before:
After: It only seems to happen to the bitmaps that move. Has anyone run into this problem or does anyone have an idea as to what it MIGHT be? Thanks for any help you can give me, Rajiv

Advertisement
This is most likely to be a problem with your texture coordinates. At the time of them going corrupt make sure the texture coords are ok by stepping through your code.

ace

Thanks for your reply. It's kind of weird that it always happens after about the same amount of time though, no matter what's going on in the game. It seems if it was a problem with the texture coordinates, it would happen after a specific animation occurred or a specific even in the game occurred. After a lot of study, there appears to be no such event. It almost seems like the video card is storing bitmaps and referencing them, but when it runs out of room, it writes over bitmaps it's still referencing. I don't really know how all of this works, so that's a very novice guess after experiencing this for a very long time. Is anything like that possible, or can you think of any other possible cause?

Sadly i dont know of any other possible cause. I would somehow doubt that it is anything to do with the way your textures have been handled by the card in memory. It will most likely be your own fault im afraid.

Do you have any textures loaded that resemble the brown earthy looking texture being used in the second picture?

ace

Thanks for your input, ace!!

Nope, nothing that resembles that brown color. And when they start looking like that, they don't stay one color for long, they just look all staticy and change colors randomly :( If it is my fault, I have no idea where to look for my mistake.

Want to send me your project and i'll have a look? I can run it on here and have a fiddle with the code etc.

ace

Wow, that's very generous. But I guess I should fiddle with it myself, maybe it will help me learn more about exactly what's going on too. Thanks though!!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!