• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deathwearer

Some Question about copywrite and etc

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm being curious about the copywrite and how it's work. Like GPL and etc. And also, how can i put one of my work under a copywrite? And is a copywrite the same as a liscence?

Advertisement
Well, uh, there are lots of different licenses, which I believe is what you mean. There are international laws and national laws governing copyrights. A copyright is a protection on ideas, processes, and creative products that you make. Although they might be easily reproduced by someone else (like copying a book, or the source code from a program), these are protected by copyright, so it would be illegal to do so. Licenses are a set of rules telling people what they can do with the copyrighted material under the license. Say you licensed an engine to make a commercial game. You will have to pay for the license to make the game - you can probably get the source for the engine for free, but if you want to release the game you make, it's gonna cost you!

The GPL is a kind of license (General Public License). If you put software of yours under the GPL, you must provide the source code free of charge to any who ask for it, and allow them to use it in their own source code. However, if they use GPL'ed material in their program, their program falls under the GPL, in a long chain of licenses, if you see what I mean. I may have that a bit off, but just google GPL and you'll find all you ever wanted to know.

If you write/create any intellectual property, at least according to US law, it is automatically copyrighted.

There you go.

Quote:
Original post by silverphyre673
A copyright is a protection on ideas, processes, ...

A copyright does not protect ideas and processes, that's the domain of patents. In the U.S., copyrights protect "original works of authorship" including:
  1. literary works;
  2. musical works, including any accompanying words;
  3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
  4. pantomimes and choreographic works;
  5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
  6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
  7. sound recordings; and
  8. architectural works.
Copyrights in the U.S. are automatic, even without registering them or including a copyright notice.

Some trivia: Before 1989, a work had to include a copyright notice in order to be copyrighted. Unfortunately for George Romero, he forgot to put a copyright notice on "Night of the Living Dead", so it became public domain.

You can find the law governing U.S. copyrights here: U.S. Code Title 17

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!