cvs at home

Started by
22 comments, last by Nemesis2k2 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Nemesis2k2
I strongly recommend Perforce. It's reliable, powerful, and easy to use. Companies happily pay tens of thousands of dollars for Perforce (look at the licensing page), and it's given away for free for 1-2 users. Honestly, it's got the compatibility, reliability, and support you'd expect from a big commercial package, with, for you, the price of an open source solution. Best of both worlds.

Going from a 1-2 free evaluation to a 3 person setup is going from $0 - $2400.
Where going from a 1-n use of SVN is free all the way.
While there is short comings w/ SVN, Perforce can't be easily justified for independent devs - small companies. If you have a yearly technical operating budget of $50,000* dollars for a small company then yeah, maybe Perforce is good.

* numbers pulled from my ass
-Scott
Advertisement
Quote:I strongly recommend Perforce.

I just finished looking through the Perforce documentation, and I gotta say - use Subversion.

I couldn't find anything special that Perforce has over Subversion, except job-tracking (and there is a Subversion add-on for that).

But worst of all, it has copied a lot of flaws from CVS that don't exist in Subversion. Particularly the per-file revision numbers (and the associated command complexity and need for a complex branch/tag mechinisim).

Not to mention (as MustEatYemen said), it's propriatary, so if you do end up growing beyond the "free limited-term" evaluation licence, it will cost you up to $800 per user (plus $160/year per user for support and upgrades)!
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
I couldn't find anything special that Perforce has over Subversion, except job-tracking (and there is a Subversion add-on for that).

Perforce has better merging.

There's a bunch of Subversion vs XXX mailing list threads here: http://www.szabgab.com/subversion_vs_xyz.html
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:I just finished looking through the Perforce documentation

Oh I doubt that. I'd say you finished looking through a peice of Perforce documentation. :)

Quote:I couldn't find anything special that Perforce has over Subversion, except job-tracking (and there is a Subversion add-on for that).

But worst of all, it has copied a lot of flaws from CVS that don't exist in Subversion. Particularly the per-file revision numbers (and the associated command complexity and need for a complex branch/tag mechinisim).

Perforce is a complete package. Subversion is not. I know when VS2005 hits, Perforce will support it, and it will be just as simple and easy to use as what I know. For Subversion I have to rely on someone taking the initiative out there to write tools to work with it, I have to work within their timetable, and I have to accept a lower standard when it comes to things like bugs, and documentation. For Perforce, I know if and when I ever switch development platforms, my Perforce server will almost certanly run out of the box on whatever OS I want to install it on, and whatever IDE I switch to, I know Perforce will have plugins for it. Perforce also has plugins for other tools like Microsoft Office and Photoshop, which to my knowledge Subversion cannot claim.

Quote:Not to mention (as MustEatYemen said), it's propriatary, so if you do end up growing beyond the "free limited-term" evaluation licence, it will cost you up to $800 per user (plus $160/year per user for support and upgrades)!

It's not limited term, you can run it without a license indefinatelty. Obviously if you want to take on a larger project you'll need something that can handle more users, or large amounts of cash. It's only free for 1-2 user projects; for more it costs a lot of money. This is a good thing in my eyes, because I'm not going to have more than 1-2 users on my projects, and I get all the advantages that a big, high quality commercial package give me, without paying the money for it. If I was to tackle a project which involved other people, I would setup a Subversion server and use that, but I'll use Perforce where I can, and if I was running a business and had to choose a SCC package, and had the money to back it, I would go with Perforce.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement