• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
escudo825

does anyone here program calculators? (TI-84 plus SE)

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got one and I really want to program it. but I can't find a way to do so and every website I've found says it's built in but doesn't say where it is.

Advertisement
Your calculator should have come with a manual. Use it. On the TI-83+, which is very similar to the TI-84+ SE, BASIC programming is done in an on-calculator IDE accessed through the 'Prgm' button. Check out ticalc.org. The Programming section has a lot of useful information on both BASIC and assembly programming. There is also a huge archive of programs by other people that you can use or check out the source to.

I looked through the manual when I got the calculator and couldn't find anything. I guess I'll just keep looking.

EDIT: I think I found it. didn't see the prgm button before. I'll tinker with that until I can read articles and learn.

I remember programming PacMan on my TI-85, but that was about 7 or 8 years ago. I haven't done anything on that platform since. I should be doable though. The new calculators are much more powerful than the one I had.

I wrote a bunch of crappy (and some not-quite-so-crappy [wink]) games for my TI-83 Plus, which basically shares the same architecture as the TI-84.
I used Z80 ASM to write these in. It's quite a jump if you've only done high-level languages before (and a bit of a nightmare if you've never programmed at all before), but there are a number of helpful communities, such as MaxCoderz.
mumpo's suggestion to check out ticalc.org is a probably the best start, but be warned that whilst the 84 is very similar to the 83+ the 83+ is quite different to the 83. Programs are loaded to a different memory address and you no longer directly call the ROM for the OS functions (you use an RST instruction followed by the "address" of the function for the OS to handle).
Good luck!

BIOS and Rom dumps are illegal unless you do them your self. go grab the TI connectivity kit, and one of the many dumping programs.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i got a silver editon and it is between apps & vars and it is under the stat button (the button is -prgm) hit program and using your cursor/arrows go to new
name your program then click enter then start editing

it will be better if you keep alfa lock on if you need help with codes while you are editing click program again and a list will come up and itf you need help with the programs already on your calculator click 2nd-catalog
note: every time you click enter a new two dots come up if you press clear the entire text from the two dots until where you are up to now will be deleted so if you want to delete anytihng just uuse the delete button(del)

Guest Anonymous Poster
I learned how to program from from Chapter 16 of the manual that came with the TI-83 Plus. The book's like an inch thick. However, that manual's not included with the 84 Plus SE calcs. Which is a bummer. So I suggest this:

http://www.ticalc.org/programming/columns/83plus-bas/cherny/index.html

Or, if you feel daring and ambitious:

http://nwps.ws/~dragonfire/Asmin28/

Heh. Assembly. I'm mean for mentioning it here.

I have managed to make sense of programming baisic. and I the afformentioned chapter 16 is on a CD that came with my calc. that manual and the TI-84+ manual wern't very helpful, but thanks to my past programming experience I picked it up pretty quickly.
I want to learn assembly, I'm looking for a program to write the z80 stuff right now. and I'm hoping to soon make a game that takes full advantage of the TI-84+ SE considering every game I can find is built for the TI-83+.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!