• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

How to make the base tiles?

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am not sure how to ask this. I am trying to make a isometric rts game and need help on doing the gfx tile set. For example if you take age of empires map editor and set default map to Grass. You can notice a small pattern but its Large tiles. How can i make a big tile but keep it ismotric. My *theory* if that you can create a bunch of small tiles (120x120) then somehow combine those into 1 big tile (512x512). This will create a big tile that looks like its not a common pattern but when u combine the big tiles it will look seamless. I already know how to make tiles seamless thats not the issue but combining them all into a bigger tile is what i need to accomplish. Any programs or suggestions is appreciated.

Advertisement
I am confused with what you are asking a bit. Are you wanting several different tiles that seemlessly connect that are each 128x128 that you can place in your map like so to make a 512x512 area:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 A B C
D E F 0

Or are you wanting to just create one big 512x512 texture? That you can place into your tiles? Which I believe is easy enough to do with direct3D and textures.

If it is the first, I would suggest just creating a large 512x512 tile then cutting it up into the 16 individual 128x128 tiles. Of course, you will have to repeat the entire group of 16 in order to maintain the seemless connect, but it should achieve the results you are looking for.

Couldn't you set the borders for a "base" tile, then vary the rest of the conents? That way, all the tiles will fit seamlessly together, but you can arrange them in any order you like.

lord_lou

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having tiles?
Would that be difernt then just having one big image for the base and just put tile layers on the top?

Or do you mean to make a border and then put any tile any were in the inside but have it set to like 10 tiles placed randomly?

I am just so confused about this part.

I get how to do all the layers but just dont understand the technic on making the base layer

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!