• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Calin

Using two mouses (mice?) at the same time.

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am searching information about using two mouses on the same PC at the same time. I know it is possible, I just don`t know how you can make your game/app support this feature. If you have any knowledge on this topic I would appreciate your input. Edit: The only thing I was able to find is this: http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/ [Edited by - Calin on August 13, 2005 1:48:06 PM]

Advertisement
It shouldn`t be that difficult. At least in the case you would want to use the first mouse as usually and the second one for additional tasks.

Windows does not differentiate between mice. You get mouse movement, but you have no idea which mouse it came from.

Quote:
Original post by Sly
Windows does not differentiate between mice. You get mouse movement, but you have no idea which mouse it came from.

There is a way to capture the input from a second mouse in an app, it is called "raw input", or (specifically) "raw mouse".

Quote:
Original post by MustEatYemen
At the Event queue level it doesn't seperate the mice, but it should be possible using DirectInput to get the raw data from any mice.

:D

Be careful with that. Once, in linux, I opened a FILE* to the mouse, and read data from it, and it decided to crash. It was an optical mouse, so I know it crashed when the light went off and wouldn't come back on, even after I killed the program.

:D

It would be interesting to find out is someone succeeded in using two mouses with DirectX. I will post a new thread in the DirectX forum.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!