• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
greij

5.1 sound output

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

would put this in the DirectX forum, but i'm curious if there are other APIs that support what i would like. i know that with 3D sounds, Direct Sound will utilize a users 5.1 system mixing the sound so that it comes from the appropriate speaker. but i would like direct control over this mixing without using 3D sounds. specifically i'd like to be able to pan a sound from front to rear much like one may be panned left to right. is there any way to do this without writing my own sound mixer?

Advertisement
You could move the sound around, every sound has a "source position". So you could make a sound object that moves around as you want around the player position, thus giving you those sound effects. But maybe there's a better way? =/

With WAVEFORMATEX structure, you can specify how many channels a wave stream has. Windows will then mix the streams to closest appropriate speakers as set up in the multimedia control panel extension.

Essentially, you have to provide the panning algorithm yourself - but it isn't very difficult :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!