Project Conqueror: A TPS Concept

Started by
9 comments, last by sanch3x 18 years, 8 months ago
Conqueror is a third-person shooter concept; the gameplay itself is loosely based on the game "Star Wars Battlefront". Essentially, the game takes place in the early 24th century, and the mid-25th, spanning two wars: Humanity's first interstellar Civil War, and its battle with the all-powerful Mithridian/Kraloss Alliance. (The Kraloss are used as infantry grunts by the Mithridians; the Mithridians are tall and human-like, with bluish skin.) You must create a character, choosing gender, name, and other attributes, and finally, you must choose between five warrior types: Trooper (basic soldier), Shock Trooper (for close-range combat), Demolition (Demo) Trooper (for explosives work), Pilot (for the use and repair of vehicles), and Scout (sniper and medical soldier). In the Single-Player Campaign, players would be able to rise through the ranks, upgrade their characters, and eventually lead a squadron of their own, consisting of the other warrior types. Each class may choose between several weapons sets (unlike Battlefront). Each character may hold two weapons and up to eight grenades. These are the classes' standard weapon sets: Trooper: Assault Rifle (AR)/Pistol; AR/Machine Pistol (MP); Carbine/MP; Pistol x2; MP x2; Carbine/SMG; Carbine/Pistol. Shock Trooper: Shotgun/MP; Shotgun/SMG; Shotgun/Pistol. Demo Trooper: Rocket Launcher (RL)/Carbine; RL/AR; Gauss Cannon (GC)/Carbine; GC/AR. Pilot: SMG/MP; SMG/Pistol; Carbine/Pistol. Scout: Sniper/SMG; Sniper/MP; Sniper/Pistol. --- Characters may pick up any weapon, or use any vehicle, they encounter, but they will use them with varying degrees of skill, based on their experience using that type of weapon. These are the Experience categories: Stamina Weapons Proficiency (Rifles, Small Arms, and Explosives) Reloading Speed Leadership (without it, computer-controlled troops may hesitate or refuse to follow your orders) --- These attributes are gained by doing each action you wish to improve several times. (For example, if you are within a millimeter of your life and heal, you will gain a lot of Stamina experience at the end of the battle.) [Edited by - spectre1890 on August 13, 2005 11:34:15 AM]
http://pineapplesoftworks.jconserv.net/index.php?Pineapple Softworks -- Lead Writer, Lead Game Designer
Advertisement
This is an interesting idea, but you've really left us not knowing what you want. I think you'll probably get more out of this forum if you post questions rather than just a laundry list.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
In a nutshell, I need to know if this can really work the way it's set up.
http://pineapplesoftworks.jconserv.net/index.php?Pineapple Softworks -- Lead Writer, Lead Game Designer
Quote:Original post by spectre1890
In a nutshell, I need to know if this can really work the way it's set up.

I don't see any reason why it won't work, but what Wavinator was saying is you've provided us with a good set of what you can be and use, but very little information about what you actually do (i.e. lots of nouns, no verbs). I'm not that sure how your game will play; I can guess you'll be shooting at each other but that's about it. I can also guess you'll be having vehicles and medics but I have no idea how they'll interact with the gameplay, and so on.

So I can't see any obvious flaws in your list there, spectre1890, but I'm still unclear on how your game will work.
It will, essentially, follow in the footsteps of Battlefront; differences include far deeper RPG elements (character creation, experience gaining, etc.), changes in the command post scheme used by the Star Wars game, upgradable weapons and armor, clan support (if possible), online co-op (also uncertain about actual difficulty in implementing such an idea), more (and better, in my opinion) vehicles, and others that I simply have not come up with yet. My goal, overall, is to improve heavily on the ingenious concepts introduced by Battlefront, and adding many of my own, without crossing the line of plagiarism.
I'm not that familar with Battlefront (I've played a demo to get a feel of the mechanics, but I'm not much of an on-line multiplayer gamer), but I'll take one aspect of your gameplay differences as an area for discussion.

You say you want to fuse some RPG mechanics with the FPS style. I think I've heard about this being used before in some other multiplayer FPS games (Amercia's Army maybe?), but wouldn't this make the game harder for newbies to your game? Usually the FPS gameplay mechanics is to have everyone on an equal footing so that only the player skill is the deliminator of their performance.
Stylistic nit: why do everyone's alien race names sound equally uninspired? I think it'd be an aesthetic coup to have aliens who never bother to fully identify themselves (ie, divulge what they collectively refer to themselves as) and are instead described by the observing race (that would be us humans). It's been done before, and I think it gives a far more entertaining "feel."

Okay, I'm just rationalizing. I can't stand the plethora of hard-K initial names, the illogical consonant juxtapositions and the seemingly universal assumptions that alien languages will not be lyrical (hence the glut of glottal sounds) and that autoidentifier should be an indicator of disposition. "Human" isn't a particularly descriptive term either.

Oh, yeah, and why are alien races almost always assumed to be ethnically homogenous, monolithic civilizations? How about a diversity of ethnicities and thus languages and cultures within the same alien species?

Okay, EOR.
This is only the first draft of the idea. Thanks for the input; I'll be sure to consider that in later versions of the idea.
I don't know how big your moneybag is for this, but you might want to start out my modding UT2004. The editting tools are readily available, and there are lots of precedents for RPG systems, novel vehicles, and teamplay modifications already in the marketplace.
This isn't an FPS idea. It's a TPS (THIRD PERSON Shooter) idea, and the best one, that matches my idea, is Battlefront. Rent it for PS2 or Xbox, or just buy the PC version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement