• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

XML Exporter for 3D Studio Max and Other Q's?

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there an exporter for 3D Studio Max that will export into XML. I mean to have a dialog that you can choose what you want exported from the scene (vertices, UV's, animations, etc.) and it will export as a hierarchical XML file? Seems like this would be a good format for beginners such as myself to work with. For professional game engines, do they normally have exporters that will steam binary straight into their object classes? How do they normally work? Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
XML is an extremely bloated format for 3d data. Just use Mr. Pacome Danhiez's exporter, it's perfect:

http://www.easeproduction.new.fr/

search for collada (which will prolly be the standard format in a couple of years time)
all major modelling apps have exporters for it

I have not seen an XML exporter to be honest, but at our company our exporter exports to a binary format that contains all the information in the scene. We then take that binary format and run it through various converters to create game-specific data. Exporting directly to a format for runtime would require re-exporting the data from the modelling tool if the format had to change or a bug was detected. This way we just run the binary converter, all of which can be managed by dependency tracking with NMAKE.

XML would be ok for a fat format, but I can image those files would get really big. They might compress pretty well though.

- S

Check out the Ogre engine as they have various exporters for Max, Maya, etc that will export to XML. They use it as an intermediate format and for ease of serialization, as to use assets in the engine you must convert that XML into their binary format.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!