Shadows/Reflextions

Started by
6 comments, last by Joni-Matti 18 years, 8 months ago
how do you do Shadows and Reflextions? any tutorials?
Advertisement
Hi there Ksingh30,
How are you doing?

[The Problem]
Shadows and Reflections

[The Solution]
You could follow 2 of my tutorials.

They are in C# and Managed DirectX but the theory is the same and you should pick up what needs to be done.
for Reflection : Render to Texture
for Shadowing : Simple Shadows

I hope this helps a bit. I am busy revising my tutorials so if you have any questions or need clarity please do not hestitate to contact me or ask here.

I hope this helps.
is the Stencil buffer a good way?
or can it be done with Shaders?
Hi Ksingh30,
It can be done using Shaders.
Stencil buffer is a good way to produce sharp shadows, but it is quite expensive when we're talking about performance. There is also other technique, shadow mapping, which is texture based and produces softer and smoother shadows. There are many articles discussing of both of these techniques, just google it.

If you use shaders, there is no difference, you are still using one of the two techniques, but with slightly increased performance from GPU processing power.
first of all. I would like to thank everyone here at gamedev for taking the time to answer my newbie questions(some which are stupid), so Thank You very much for that guys.

2. can someone point me to a tuorial about Shadow mapping with DX9 or a demo
I googled buy it was all in OGL.
thanks
There's a sample in DirectX 9.0 SDK Update August 2005. Here's also a link to MSDN about the sample:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/TutorialsAndSamples/Samples/ShadowMap.asp

Hope this helps :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement