• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZodiacDraw

Too many jobs out there.

This topic is 4848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, just out of curiousity, I went to the "Latest Jobs" section of this site. I saw jobs there I didn't even know existed, and nothing quite so aptly named as "Game Designer" or "3D-modeller". So, could someone give a reference, or sit down and explain the many jobs and their differences. If the list is too long, just list some jobs that are typically in the "modelling" or "game designing" department. Thanks for your time. -Zodiac Draw

Advertisement
From the first page of Game Jobs

Graphics Software Engineer - Programmer, w/ a niche abilties in 3D rendering. Scene Graphs/Shadows/Reflections/HLSL etc

Director Product Development - Manager(Part game designer in this case), helps decide the next product that will be released by the company and to find potential new products.

Senior Windows Game Developer - Programmer/Manager, expected to have 5-10 years expereince in that field doing commercial products. Would essentially architect any new products, work w/ Producer, Game Designers, etc. Usually well paying, but demanding job.

Senior UNIX Server Developer - Programmer/Manager, same deal as above. Different platform. (Linux/FreeBSD(etc)/Unix/ possibly Solaris?). Essentially designing the server backend the above position would be connecting too.

Skipping down a bit, we hit Developer.
Developer is another word for Engineer, Programmer. Seeing that this is from a larger company (Microsoft Corporation) who knows to properly document, you'll end up doing a fair bit of paper pushing (read this to see what i mean, http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/28/53298.aspx)

Project Art Director - Manager. If herding Programmers is like herding cats, herding Artists is like herding monkeys. Basically handing down art tasks and ensuring that they are accomplished. Also setting up policys etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!