• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lem77

3d model format with simple animation?

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I´m about to design a model class for my opengl-engine. I think about a simple model format, where seperate shapes (grouped by material) form an object (model). As I want to make a demo-engine, I just want simple animation: I dont need bones animation or stuff, only some animation to morph (some, maybe all) vertices. I do have absolutely no clue about how to store the animation in an efficient way (store every animation as an own model sucks, i think). I would appreciate any ideas,hints or links on that.

Advertisement
One of the easier (and simple) formats to work with is md2. Here's an article about loading and animating a model. It might give you some ideas.

I also back MD2. Even after a few years, I still use the format. It uses "keyframe" animation, which though it may be bigger in file size, to me is much easier to use. The only drawback for me is that yo have to calculate the normals for the triangles as they are not included in the file, but since that is at load time, it shouldn' be a problem.

So, if I understand MD2 right, they store for example 5 running models, and when playing the animation all 5 models are shown sequentially?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!