3d model format with simple animation?

Started by
3 comments, last by lem77 18 years, 8 months ago
I´m about to design a model class for my opengl-engine. I think about a simple model format, where seperate shapes (grouped by material) form an object (model). As I want to make a demo-engine, I just want simple animation: I dont need bones animation or stuff, only some animation to morph (some, maybe all) vertices. I do have absolutely no clue about how to store the animation in an efficient way (store every animation as an own model sucks, i think). I would appreciate any ideas,hints or links on that.
Advertisement
One of the easier (and simple) formats to work with is md2. Here's an article about loading and animating a model. It might give you some ideas.
There's code for the cx model format which supports animation, and has a Max exporter. If you don't use 3dsmax, that won't help you, of course.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I also back MD2. Even after a few years, I still use the format. It uses "keyframe" animation, which though it may be bigger in file size, to me is much easier to use. The only drawback for me is that yo have to calculate the normals for the triangles as they are not included in the file, but since that is at load time, it shouldn' be a problem.

So, if I understand MD2 right, they store for example 5 running models, and when playing the animation all 5 models are shown sequentially?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement