• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nas1982

Why are most online games 2D and not 3D

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why are most online games 2D and not 3D, How come almost all games like yahoo games are 2D, what is the reason behind this?

Advertisement
The only reason I know of that sounds good for Yahoo doing 2D is that they would probaly want it to support most computers. I mean think about it. When you run a buisness you want customers. Yahoo wants members. So to play the games at Yahoo you get an ID. If it is 2D then most people can run the games, but if it was 3D, then some people would not beable to run the games.(Like my grandmother.)

But in MMORPG's and other MMO's(although their are some with 3d)I would have to say cause it is already really hard to make a MMO game and with 3D it would be harder I would think.

That is just what I would say. Maybe someone with more knowledge could answear.

Well, the Yahoo thing is mostly because they they use Flash for the games (I think), and I don't think Flash supports 3D very well... As the above poster said, most MMOs are 2D (as the OP said) because the rest of the game is just so much more complicated.

I'd say that the bottom line is support. The internet is used by almost ancient computers and by the newest models, and internet games usually need to support them all. 3d games can be done, even with the complexity of them, but since not so many want to play them, they are less.

Games will work on a wider variety of computers. Both high and low end machines. 2D games take less time to program than 3D. A single programmer can make a 2D game in a couple of hours(orignal that is).

Well, rather than post a "me too" response, I kinda want to add a little myself. First, a lot of the Yahoo games are not well suited to being 3d games, and really offer no extra advantage to using the third dimension that can't be obtained through 2D/Flash.

Secondly, I think it'd be interesting to see them do some java games, but it's really an "eh" kind of thing.

making a game in a couple of hours... what programmer is that and WHAT is a game for u??

i really dont thinl that unless he has everything server liked a complete engine
so all he need to do is design

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!