• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robertjw

3d Frustum Clipping

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I am in the middle of developing a software renderer. So far I've created a basic wireframe engine but now I'm looking to add clipping. I am trying to implement view frustum clipping in camera space. I've been able successfully compute the six frustum planes and compute a line-plane intersection. The trouble I am having is determining the algorithm for computing the clipping of an arbitrary triangle. Any thoughts or places I can go for information? Thanks for your help. Robert

Advertisement
Just for curiousity, why are you creating a software renderer? I see nothing wrong with the idea. You can learn alot from doing so. I'm just curious. Also, good luck with it.

Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84
Just for curiousity, why are you creating a software renderer? I see nothing wrong with the idea. You can learn alot from doing so. I'm just curious. Also, good luck with it.

Writing software renderers is '133t'. Completing a software renderer is about 3/4 up the leet coder scale ;P .

Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84

Hi kburkhart84,

I am writing a software renderer just for fun I guess. And to learn as much as I can about computer graphics and all the algorithms, data structures, theory, etc. that comes with building it. Thanks for the luck as well... I'm sure I'll need it when I get to the more advanced topics.

Robert

"3D Game Engine Programming" by Stefan Zerbst has the theory and algorithms on how to do clipping on arbitrary triangles. Unfortunately I do not have the book with me, however I can highly recommend the book. Will F's suggestion is probably better still if you are trying to create a software renderer though.

EDIT: Good luck, I hope to create a software renderer of my own soon

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!