• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ncasebee

Help With Getting Started Porting/Programming., I'm already pretty well read.

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I have had the want to program and port ever since I saw what was possible with the Xbox. The N64 emulators really sparked my interest, and made me want to learn programming even more.The development of the XDVDFS_ file layouts was also quite fascinating. I wanted to develop so that when the orig porters tire, I could help. So, I started reading like I was told. Since then I have read the entire book Learn C++ in 24 Hours by Liberty. I read the book in it's entirity except for Linked Lists and Templates. Everything else, I know. I then read large portions of Big C++. I supplemented with this book. Very good. I then decided I needed an API. So I picked up Focus on SDL. I read the entire book except for the last quarter which detailed building an example SDL Framework for pumping out fast games via classes. Didn't really follow that part. As for all the functions such as Video/Audio/Events/Timers/Threads/Joysticks/Input, I think I have a pretty good grasp, because they were all covered in the beginning of the book. The book also covered addon SDL libraries such as SDL_MIXER, SDL_IMAGE, SDL_TTF, and others. SO! Do you think I have enough info under my belt to start doing something. I WANT TO DO SOMETHING. I want to port an application to the Xbox. I need something to get me started. I wanted to attempt the port of the Linux Zsnes, but don't know if I could handle it. What confuses me in porting/compiling is basically source code layout. There isn't exactly one main.cpp that you compile for a program, there are large trees of files that mesh to form a single program. Where is the file that start everything off, if there is not a project file or something. Any tuts that explain the darn layout of source code and how it meshes? Another thing with the Zsnes port, is that the source code included Assembly code. Now, the install file calls for the NASM program. I assume this is a Assembly code assembler, but how do I compile that code inside of Visual Studio.net? Do I mesh the Nasm assembler into Visual Studio.net some way, or can VS.net handle assembly. The compile also calls for zlib and libpng, which I understand as just libraries that provide some sort of functionality, as in this case displaying .png pics and some sort of compression as with Zlib. I would just have to put the library files in the right spots. That doesn't seem so hard. So you see my current abilities. I guess I really need some more expierence. I don't know any Win32/MFC API stuff, but would like to learn it,but I don't know any good books, but then again it's not needed really for Xbox. There is also some C stuff that I don't quite get, such as printf calls and structures. I thought that a C++ book/course would teach me all I needed to know, but obviously there are still older C elements still used today. UHG. So I'm thinking about getting a C book. I don't know. I guess help where you can. I would really appreciate it.Maybe some suggestions of example projects or resources to get me some expierence with this sorta stuff? Anything that would help? It's pretty heavily pointed towards xbox development, but I thought that would be ok. I don't need any talk about SDK's, I know the situation.

Advertisement
Apparently since no one else is going to help I'll try to offer some suggestions.

You can embed assembly using visual c++, but it probably be in the form of microsoft assembly(MASM), not NASM. There's more than one kind of aseembly for each kind of processor. Some assembly languages are meant to be more general though.

What happens with zsnes is NASM compiles all the assembly filess, the c++ compiler compiles the C++ files, the c compiler compiles the c files, and then they all get linked together with a linker program. It's a bit complex, which is why makefiles were invented.

You should study a little bit of assembly it will probably be helpful to you to better understand what exactly goes on when you compile. I know when I learned a bit of assembly it opened my eyes to the whole process.

As for console development, have you looked that particular forum? You may get better help there seeing as how that's its focus. Hope I helped a little.

Well get all the regular c++ programming that you can in. Make sure you know the language really well. SDL was probably a good choice to learn as well. Like nobodynews said, pick up on some assembly. You will probably need to know a bit of it to access the hardware. It will also help you since you will know how the xbox works, reads, stores, uses code and such. Best of luck on xbox dev. Post updates and pictures.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!