After C++ Then What?

Started by
10 comments, last by kburkhart84 18 years, 8 months ago
After you have learned C++ were do i go from there?shall i download some sort of software to begin to make a small game? a link would be useful. Thanks.
Advertisement
you learn a graphics API (eg. OpenGL or DirectX)

obligatory red book link
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
...ok cheers
first of all, have you been using C++? Making simple programs and such. Do that.
Instead of jumping in with a 3D API like OpenGL, you may want to try a simpler game development library like SDL.
I join SiCrane on learning SDL. However, first of all - get confident with C++. When you reach SDL, GL, DX or whatever advanced topic, you'll need your C++ sharp as a razor.

I would recommend taking on a medium-sized project and completing it. You can make games in console mode. Here are some ideas:

1. Checkers - draw the whole board on the screen, get coordinates to move from/to, and write a computer player. Do it all object-oriented and nice.

2. Chess - Do the same, but no computer player, just player vs. player. Learn about inheritance in the types of pieces, etc.

3. 4-in-a-row - Again, draw the board on the screen, and implement a CPU player.

4. Maze or even a very simple D&D game, MUD style.

If you'll do some of these, you'll get your skills up and running in C++. Then I suggest you'd read even more C++ books - like Effective C++, More Effective C++, and Efficient C++. Then you can move on to SDL and the likes, when you're sure that C++ will not be an obstacle. You'll have lots of these anyways, so it's best to remove them ASAP, I think :-)

Good luck!
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
I would say SDL also. Have you made any console games yet? Like guess the number or hangman? With SDL, you can start out small with just displaying something then move onto bigger things. Here are a few good tutorials.
I recoommend SDL too =)

start small!
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
www.libsdl.org
You could give C# a shot. I've been playing with it for a while now and have decided to never turn back to C++ ever again, unless I have to. SDL.NET is a great library wrapper for SDL (written in C#) that turns SDL, SDL_gfx, SDL_mixer, etc, into an object oriented interface. You might want to check it out if you do plan to give C# a look.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement