• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SlimTimmy

Using D3DDEVINFO_D3D9CACHEUTILIZATION

This topic is 4845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I tried to use the D3DQUERYTYPE_CACHEUTILIZATION query in order to find out how efficient my rendering code is. But the function CreateQuery keeps returning D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE: hr = Device->CreateQuery(D3DQUERYTYPE_CACHEUTILIZATION, &Query); I am using a Geforce 6600GT and installed the Forceware driver 77.30. Is this just a driver issue? Are there drivers which implement these queries? (All other queries which time certain processes are not available as well, such as D3DQUERYTYPE_PIPELINETIMINGS, D3DQUERYTYPE_INTERFACETIMINGS, D3DQUERYTYPE_VERTEXTIMINGS, D3DQUERYTYPE_PIXELTIMINGS etc.)

Advertisement
Unfortunately, Nvidia has decided to skip out on the whole performance-related query thing. They would rather have you use NVPerfHud, I guess. Also, it doesn't look like there are an caps for query support, so there is no real way of telling before you try CreateQuery().

I'm not sure if they have provided a useful plugin for PIX - I know ATI has. It seems that PIX is in direct competition with NVPerfHud, so Nvidia won't support it. However, I think PIX is better, hands down (even with PerfHud's UI). Devs don't want to have to use different performance tools for different hardware - that was the point of PIX in the first place.

I looked at these tools, but could not find a way to measure how efficiently I am using the vertex cache. Did I miss something?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!