• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xissburg

Changing to fullscreen and windowed modes

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was trying to make my D3D application go to fullscreen and back to windowed mode through a key but, when I press the key an error occurs and the application closes.I know that when I change to fullscreen I lose textures and another things.I also know that the application gets a lost device state.So, I wanna know what must be done after calling IDirect3DDevice9->Reset(). Thats all, thanks...:P

Advertisement
Hi there xissburg,
How are you doing?

[The Problem]
Handling lost devices?

[The Solution]
I believe that this part of the SDK Docs just says it so clearly that I would just you the link

Handling Lost Devices

I hope this helps.
Take care.

If Reset() suceeded you only have to reload all resources that you have released ( you have released them, right? ) and you can render your frame.

hmm....maybe the problem is that I did not release anything!!lol...so, I must proceed this way:
1.Release everything;
2.Create a new D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS and set the new parameters into it and then call Reset();
3.Then its just reload all models and textures.
Am I right?!?

1. Check if device is ready for reset
if no:

wait

if yes:

2 release all textures and buffers (not the device)

3 call reset

4 reload all released stuff

Wouldn't reloading all data be very slow? For example loading hundreds of meshes and textures would take some time. There are lots of games that I am sure run in full-screen mode that reset the device in 1/2 seconds. How do they do that? (Eg. Unreal Tournament 2004)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!