• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Phaelan

Advice Needed.

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings all. I'm totally new here, and to the Game-Dev Community as a whole. For my first project (using Java), I want to start with something relatively small and simple. A friend of mine has been creating his own tabletop gaming system, and has come up with a few rules for it. What I want to make is basically a program that simulates the combat in the game. The logic of the program should be simple, i.e. a lot of math.random rolls, comparing results, adjusting numbers, etc. The thing I'm not as sure about is how it will work on the graphical end. The way I envision this, since it will be very simple, is sort of a 2-dimensional grid with units moving around on it. Units with ranged attacks can target other units a certain number of 'squares' away, melee units have to be adjacent, etc. Since my experience with Java graphics is basically some GUIs using the swing library, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for what I'm thinking of. Or at least, perhaps, give me some kind of clue as to how I should approach this. I'm strong on fundamentals, but am in need of some specifics. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
If you are asking how it should be done on an API level, then I would suggest checking out Java2D. It deals with loading and displaying images, lines, shapes, text, etc. and should do most of what you need. A quick google will turn up many tutorials on its use.

EDIT: Its been a long time since I've used Java for graphics. Its seems Java2D doesn't load images itself, but this explains how to.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!