• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyMinion

Long road ahead?

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

my goal(long term) is to make a simple 2d graphic onrpg that me and my friends can play, and can run off my comp. I am currently learnin basic c++ and will move onto the advanced stuff once i can find my books ^_^. What eles should i start to learn?

Advertisement
Well just keep on with the C++. Once you feel somewhat comfortable then move onto a graphics API like SDL. You're right its a long road to making your MMO, but at least you know that baby steps are the only way to get there.

not interested in makin Massive Mult. im not a newb goin ooh ima make a uber 1337 mmorpg! where can i find a prog to make 1?... just a lil project for me and my friends to play with, so just keep up with c++ then go to graphics huh.. know a good book to help me get started on the right path?

Sorry bout that. I misread your post. *rpg usually equals MMORPG in this forum. Its refreshing that that someone isn't shooting too far ahead of themselves but setting realistic goals. My previous post still stands though. If you have a basic understanding of C++ then check out SDL. This thread is full of good c++ links and recommendations and SDL is easy enough that the docs should be all you need.

also(lookin months into the future*maybe longer*) would it be possible to make a map creation program that uses no coding what so ever to create items,monsters,maps etc. so my friends could have input on the game... (my friends all talked about making a game... yet im the only 1 who is learning c++) isn't that a ripp off? lol
--Edit.. Hmm lots of books on that list, any recomindations?

Each of those tools are completely doable. Their complexity depends on the complexity of the game but by the time you are at the stage where you need to make tools for your game you should be well equiped to do it.

My only advice would be to use a RAD (Rapid Application Development) language for these apps. This is entirely up to you - they are 100% doable in C++ - but making them in something like C# can cut down the time required to make them dramatically.

But don't worry about that yet. Just learn the APIs you are going to be making your game in. Get the game playable. Then when you come to putting together these tools for your friends you'll be in a much better position to make educated decisions.

You might wish to try your hand at a text-based online RPG (also called Multi User Dungeons, or MUDs) - it will get you used to networking without having to worry about keeping everything synchronised (audio, graphics, input, etc) and they run like a standard console application.

i know all about muds cuz i play them. my friends however need pictures. they are morons... so maybe ff3 graphics? i dont know, ill decide later on. but yea now im just lookin for a good book to explain me more c++.( i cant live on tutorials alone)

Hi EmptyMinion,

You sound a LOT like me! I was also obsessed with making a 2D online RPG for my friends to play too, and I actually ended up doing it, even though I was a novice! So don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you it's too hard.

I will give you my best advice now:

Do NOT use C++! Yes, you heard me right. My first online RPG was in Visual Basic, which is a very easy language. When I moved into C++, somehow I never managed to reach those heights again - the language makes it hard to *play*, in my humble opinion. I *don't* recommend Visual Basic though; I just ended up using it by accident! With the knowledge I have now, I would recommend one of these languages: Python, or Common Lisp. Most likely Python will be the easiest for you to learn, but consider moving to Lisp one day. I'm using Lisp right now to create an online RPG ... it's going quite well. (It's just that the problem with Python is that it is a bit slow ... Lisp is a compiled language so it's considerably faster. And Lisp gives you everything Python does and more, except that it is not "friendly"; that is, Python has a lot more libraries and a more active community. So I'd say Lisp is something you should put off until later.)

Rats, he has a higher rating than me, and thus more credibility.

And now onto my rebutal. Tron3k is right in most respects, it is harder to make games in C++ than in Python or other such languages. He is right that Python has more built in libraries. In fact he is right in almost every way except for the sentence "Do NOT use C++!". Personal preference is the key here. If you want to use the more complicated language, even if the developement will be more difficult, then do so. I like C++. All of my games to date could have been made in C++, C, Java, Python, whatever. But I chose C++, for no other reason than that is what I enjoy using and there is no reason that you won't enjoy it too.

But check out the other languages. Write a few basic apps in them, and maybe pong considering it will only take a few hours in even a completely new language. Find out what the options are and make a decision. And its okay if you come out the far end having selected C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!